Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi from Sydney

Hi,

I'm just trying to start out with lasers. Unfortunately, I live in Australia which could make things somewhat difficult.

Looking through the forums, I found some older posts about importing lasers into Australia and I'd be really keen to hear any further experiences of or advice from those who have brought lasers of any sort in to the country, or attempted to do so.

I'm thinking of perhaps purchasing a lab style laser, which, to the best of my knowledge, is not affected by the Australian customs laws. I would, however, very much like to buy a nice handheld laser.

This forum looks like a great resource and I'm glad to have found it!

Cheers,

Adam :)

LaZeRz

Welcome to the Forum :) Lab style lasers will pass through customs without a hitch since no one is going to try and use a lab laser to point at a plane, As for a portable laser you have a few options

You can buy through a site like o-like.com which has a generally good reputation around here since they ship most handhelds as : Torch samples

and for the second option you can go DIY style and make your own :D If you do want to build your own laser just send me a message and i will help you as much as i can :)

have fun browsing through LPF, always remember to use safety glasses when using a laser indoors and learn from the huge amount of resources available here

Btw where abouts in Sydney do you live?

Last edited:

anselm

Hello and welcome to the forum!:wave:
Yep, build your own laser pointer, it's very easy, really.

Try out the INDEX link in my signature, lots of good threads inside.;)

TTerbo

Hello,
I too am from Australia :D.
I have a 200mW red labby for sale aswell...

Hello,
I too am from Australia :D.
I have a 200mW red labby for sale aswell...

Is there ever a time you don't have something for sale? :crackup:

Jokes aside...I've bought stuff from TTerbo in the past, Great guy :beer:

TTerbo

For some reason whenever i buy something, i see something better and then have to sell something to get it :D

LaZeRz

Artics are alright if you dont get a faulty one and if you can wait for their shipping, although im not sure how you got it through customs TTerbo :thinking:

Artics really look nice though :D

TTerbo

Oh, i bought it off someone in Australia...and also all the lasers in my sig are sold except one HeNe :p

strik3

One way to get them in would be if you got it shipped to a trusted member that is not in Australia. Get them to disassemble it and ship it to you in multiple packages.

Just a thought

LaZeRz

You've got a point there :D although id save my self the hassle and build my own, nothing beats the feeling of having built a laser :D

btw Strik3 did you make those little annotations in your sig and display picture?

Last edited:
I had wondered about that. So, is it ok to import the components, even if they're clearly for a handheld laser, like that? i.e. disassembled and in separate packages.

If so, how 'disassembled' would it have to be?

I'd certainly consider doing that.

Also, I'd still like to make one. I just want one of those sweet looking lasers :D

Adam

strik3

The best way is to get the laser diode and driver removed and shipped separately as it is then just a laser module and an empty torch. Both of which are perfectly legal to import into Australia.

I recently received a hand held that had the top ring, end cap, battery and lens all removed.

It did also say on the packaging that it was flashlight parts

As formaking one. I'm not the best person to ask about diy ATM. Already killed 2 ld while extracting them from a DVD burner :(