Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi from Silicon Valley, CA

goonmad

Hello everyone. This is my intro post.

A friend of mine just had his 70th birthday party (he's a bit older than me ;) and I told him that what he needed to stay young of heart and mind was to get into Rock and Roll, Motorcycles and Lasers!

I've always had a fascination with Lasers. Since I was a kid hanging around the UC Berkeley science lab in the nerd-kid summer camps. To the first time I got a hold of a decent, bright green pointer (circa 2000). To my first sneaky, exciting, super secrete order from China for some of the big stuff! ….and lately seems that indeed I have been bitten by the proverbial “LASER bug”. While I think it’s very cool that highly focused light can cut and burn stuff, I’m more into the pretty psychedelic colors, light shows, and amazing art potential using lasers. I also respect, admire, and use all manner of laser tech and tack gear as well.

So, I have lots (too many) "store bought" pointers and light sabers, etc. As well as a growing collection of modules, lenses, and parts. I’m not yet to the point of building my own drivers, but that seems to be the direction it's heading. I’m not the greatest hardware hacker ...although things are improving as I have more and more time for this "sport". I have some creative art piece builds that I’m working on now (a very expensive lamp). Also, some practical applications. —I will post pics of anything/everything that I get finished here of course.

Other that all of that …for those of you still awake …by day I’m an InfoSec guy. Cybersecurity Risk Quantification and Compliance is my bag. I also play music (guitar) funk, rock, and Jazz. Yes, I ride motorcycles ...and before you ask, I have a Zero. It's an 100% electric supermoto —ya it’s way, way, way fun! …because it’s totally silent and stealthy, one of the things that I think about doing is bolting on a high-power IR designator and riding through the woods with night vision gear. Not kidding!

It's Great to be here people…

Cheers all!

Nate

Last edited:

I somehow missed your intro thread from a month ago. It looks like I wasn't the only one. If you are interested in lasers this is the place to be. Welcome to the LPF.

goonmad

Thank you Paul. Ya it was like I posted my intro blurb as I was told, trying to be a good forum citizen and the new guy. But, then all heard was crickets! Lol. :) ...I didn't know if I had offended everybody here somehow or what? ...anyway hi there! :)

I can tell you this much, lasers have taken over my house, workshop, garage and studio. I'm having a hell of a good time and my friends can't shut me up talking about lasers! I've got some of what I think are pretty cool projects cooking. At least the feedback that I'm getting has been really positive so far. I will post pics once I have some that are ready for prime time. But here's a teaser anyway...

It's a kind of Rube Goldberg table lamp with lasers. The 450nm hits the phosphorus to create the white reading light at the end of the line. The helping hands are very tricky to keep aligned, but I worked out a solution for that. Put a small fog machine on the top and of course using very, very good mirrors. Voila! You have a Rube Goldberg reading lamp or a desktop rave!

TTYL,
Nate

Attachments

• 2019-02-06_20-54-30.jpg
    2019-02-06_20-54-30.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 11
  • ARUJ9965.JPG
    ARUJ9965.JPG
    448.1 KB · Views: 11
  • EMER5442.JPG
    EMER5442.JPG
    375.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 11
Oof - Missed your post too - Welcome :) Hope you have a good time here. Stay safe - loosely attached mirrors and by the looks of it quite strong lasers are a bad mix if you're not protecting your eyes properly.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi Nate, and a belated welcome to LPF! :)
I don't know how we all missed your intro. thread; there's usually quite a few of us here who will welcome our new members, especially when they take the time to make a nice introduction.

Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy your stay!

PhaserBoy

That's cool pictures. I like the physcadelic stuff too. How fast is your electric cycle? I built an electric Schwinn Tricycle and an Electra bycicle...25-32 mph tops downhill. I got some of these lasers in eBay , they are fun. The fireflies go nuts in the summer when I shine them in the trees lol.Screenshot_20190207-145935.png 1549570212529691.jpg1549570575522896.jpg154957040262571.jpg

Be careful bouncing lasers off mirrors. I hope you have proper eyewear in case of an accidental strike to your eyes. It can happen so fast and there is nothing you can do once it happens. Stay safe.