Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi from downunder.

He everyone, I'm Andrew from Sydney, AU.
New to the forum, new to lasers.
I've joined up to learn more about this fascinating hobby, since I've been intrigued by lasers since I was young.
My main hobby is astrophotography and so I'm allowed by law to have a small pointer for astronomy (as some may know we're not allowed lasers over 1mW without a legitimate reason here in Aust).

I'm envious of all these wonderful lasers I see on here and have been spending some time reading through some of the threads but I've a lot of reading to do (steep learning curve).
Now I know how newbies feel when they get into astrophotography.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi.

:)

ru124t

Welcome to the forum! Remember, the search bar is your friend, always wear safety goggles, and get really good batteries that don't explode when you charge them!

Last edited:
G'day Andrew and welcome to the forum. Seems we have at least a couple of the same interests so maybe I can interest you in another of mine!? SAFETY! Although you do not need to wear safety goggles whilst star pointing you will need them when using a laser indoors so don't wait, get some that cover the optical wavelength of your laser, it is a lot harder to read with your fingers than it is to read with your eyes!
Enjoy your time here mate, you Will learn lots!

Last edited:

ru124t

I keep forgetting you guys are from the land of vegemite! My friends last visit there he brought me back a couple of bottles cause he knew how much I loved it! THat stuff is the shinizzle to the max!

Thanks for your welcome guys.
Great advice about battery quality, never thought of that.
And yes I will be looking for good quality safty goggles ASAP.
I've been doing a lot of searches, so much info here, it's awesome.

LOL re: Vegimite, yes it's a favourite of ours too.

Thanks for your warm welcome.

:beer:

Welcome RB... hope your stay is long and prosperous and that you learn a thing or two about your new hobby :D

Welcome to LPF! Astrophotographers are a perfect fit! Stay safe and enjoy the hobby.

Welcome to the forum, mate.

I am JUST getting into astrophotography... in fact, I am awaiting shipment of my first german equitorial mount as I type this response.

My primary interest is DSO, so I'm starting with wide field and learning from there... it's quite fascinating to me. Initially, this is an existing DSLR endeavor, but my long term goal is monochomatic CCD projects with narrowband filters since I live is a fairly light polluted area of the US.

Have fun with your lasers and be safe!
Cheers!
/c

ps. I'd love to see some of your work if you have a website.

Welcome RB... hope your stay is long and prosperous and that you learn a thing or two about your new hobby :D
Hey Bob, you're from my neck of the woods I see.
Thanks for the welcome.
I'll have to check out those goggles you've got in your sig.
I need a good pair.
Cool collection of lasers there.
:)

Welcome to LPF! Astrophotographers are a perfect fit! Stay safe and enjoy the hobby.
Thanks millirad.
Yeah lasers are a natural progression from astrophotography (I recon).

Welcome to the forum, mate.

I am JUST getting into astrophotography... in fact, I am awaiting shipment of my first german equitorial mount as I type this response.

My primary interest is DSO, so I'm starting with wide field and learning from there... it's quite fascinating to me. Initially, this is an existing DSLR endeavor, but my long term goal is monochomatic CCD projects with narrowband filters since I live is a fairly light polluted area of the US.

Have fun with your lasers and be safe!
Cheers!
/c

ps. I'd love to see some of your work if you have a website.
Hi KapHn8d,

Great to hear you're getting into astophotography.
Good to start off with widefields, good practice.
DSOs are my fav too.
It's a shame we're loosing our nightskies and a lot more people are turning to narrowband now.
I don't have a proper website, just links to images since my webpage skills are minimal.
Here's a few of my images I took a few years back now with the Canon 20Da.

1. The Horse Head Neb (like in my avatar)
hh-web.jpg
2. The Veil Neb
veil-west-web.jpg
3. The Tarantula Neb
tarantula-web.jpg

Hope you like them.

Regards
Andrew

1. The Horse Head Neb (like in my avatar)
View attachment 45019
2. The Veil Neb
View attachment 45020
3. The Tarantula Neb
View attachment 45021

Hope you like them.

Regards
Andrew

These are RAD! I've wanted to get into this. I have one of the few untouched pieces of sky left on the eastern US coast (Cherry Springs) only a short drive from my house and love stargazing there. I always see photographers there. The stargazing is what brought me here. Welcome to the forums from someone else who just joined!

IsaacT

Welcome aboard! I bet it is amazing to take such awesome pictures of space. Check out dragon lasers for low output quality lasers.

These are RAD! I've wanted to get into this. I have one of the few untouched pieces of sky left on the eastern US coast (Cherry Springs) only a short drive from my house and love stargazing there. I always see photographers there. The stargazing is what brought me here. Welcome to the forums from someone else who just joined!

Welcome aboard! I bet it is amazing to take such awesome pictures of space. Check out dragon lasers for low output quality lasers.

Thanks guys.
It's been a long learning curve to achieve results that I'm happy with but in the end it's very gratifying to see an image emerge that's pleasing to the eye.

I've been doing some searching here to get the basics of this new hobby.
Some awesome stuff here, wish we were allowed to own such beautiful lasers here in Australia.

:cryyy: