Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi friends

GellMann

Apologies for the typical new poster "introduction" coming after a new thread/post in a regular forum!! I've already learned so much reading various threads here and look forward to a new lifelong hobby. I've always like physics and am a physics student, though optical stuff always scared me until recently - I survived my Jackson's E&M classes so nothing scares me anymore! I'm from western NY and live in the midwest right now for school. I have a 532 nm laser (50mW, from optotronics) and a 450 nm laser from Dragon Lasers. That one is 30mW. I have some broad goals in mind for things I want to get and do with lasers, and am in the process of carefully mapping and budgeting that out. And of course, as soon as I knew the power range/wavelengths of my first purchases, I got the glasses from survival lasers (they're great, thanks to the owner, who I know posts here!)

I hope I learn a lot on top of what I already have and can eventually become a contributing member of this community.

Elyekim

Welcome to LPF, GellMann. I am sure you will enjoy your time spent here, we are a great community with individuals who are quite knowledgeable. :)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, GellMann; thanks for the intro thread! :)

Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy your stay!

I generally try to welcome new members here, but somehow yours passed me by. That was a very nice introductory thread and it sounds like you will fit in here quite nicely. Hope your "life long" interest in lasers will continue.

Welcome to LPF

I'm sure you will learn a lot and add to the community and I welcome those who strive to do so.
It's because we all share and learn together that we can do and understand so much more than seeking out information alone, I hope to learn of amazing things yet to be discovered and who knows where the next great idea may come from, it could be you or me. :D

Stay safe and enjoy.

Hi G,
Welcome to LPF here are some awesome folks to guid you through . Enjoy and beam safely..

Rich:)

''''I m from western NY and live in the midwest ''''...

welcome-- are you interested in meeting forum members in person?
if so- please add a location into yr profile so anyone going there will see & know-- HOWEVER it would have been better if you had a location in your intro thread TITLE.
Others near MAY see that and reach out.. odds are MUCH better w/ location in yr title as well as in your profile--we are NOT mind readers.
You can edit the title afaik and add that OR make a new 'intro' thread with location where many more will see it. Normally we frown upon double threads.
BUT for this you have our 'OKAY' to make a new intro...
As only an example-- have you metered your collection??
want to?
a local member w/ a LPM will be very happy to do that for you.
And you can do that for others if/when you get a meter. I have been blessed meeting 100 + laser 'folks' (some are forum members and others are friends/family of members who attend free at most LEMs.) -- you are fairly close IMO to SELEM .... from Houston we drive 17 hrs to attend SELEM mid aug in Newton N.C. Now grown to a 5 day affair -- go once and you will want to never miss another LEM.
Even with 5 days many 1st timers say they wish SELEM had lasted even LONGER.
Search 'SELEM Laser'
These happen world wide -- and SELEM is organized at the 'show forum' (see the links you get by search)- 'Might' be a NYLEM this year. for sure one or two in Orlando (FLEM)- Some on west coast and the great NW-- MANY members live in Or. most in Portland where they also hold LEMs.
If you can only do one LEM make it to SELEM-- to go you must contact 'buffo' at the show forum and get on the list-- in your searches you will see lots on LEMs- ytube vids etc

When you make an intro thread --['when' is not that important-- I did mine months after joining & I have seen 'intros' from members years after they joined[, you should get 'greets' from members near you.

The LPF format we just replaced was helpful with that as our locations appeared under our usernames every time we posted-- this new does not have that I can see the forum will not be 'as good' as it once was.--- so that makes having your location in your profile as well as your intro title.

Hope to meet you some day--=Len in Houston.

Apologies for the typical new poster "introduction" coming after a new thread/post in a regular forum!! I've already learned so much reading various threads here and look forward to a new lifelong hobby. I've always like physics and am a physics student, though optical stuff always scared me until recently - I survived my Jackson's E&M classes so nothing scares me anymore! I'm from western NY and live in the midwest right now for school. I have a 532 nm laser (50mW, from optotronics) and a 450 nm laser from Dragon Lasers. That one is 30mW. I have some broad goals in mind for things I want to get and do with lasers, and am in the process of carefully mapping and budgeting that out. And of course, as soon as I knew the power range/wavelengths of my first purchases, I got the glasses from survival lasers (they're great, thanks to the owner, who I know posts here!)

I hope I learn a lot on top of what I already have and can eventually become a contributing member of this community.