Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi All.

dkemppai

Hi,

Been reading the forums for a while. Just haven't had a reason to post. So It's probably time.

I've been playing with LD modules since they first started to come out. 650/635nm reds and a few 880nm (I think) from old laser printers, etc 20+ years ago.
Currently have a green 250mW Wicked pointer, and a few 2W and 7W ~450nm modules. Have a few 1064nm laser spot welders at work (hole drillers, if set correctly). One is an enclosed frame Rofin, the other is a laser star open unit (A bit scary to operate, 80W unit, with XYZ table, and microscope head with cross hairs, and no other protection!)

I built an all digital constant current driver based on a microchip PIC a few years ago. Intended as a XML LED driver, but ended up using it for the 2W blues. Been glued to a board with a LD in a custom heat sink since.

Eventually, I'd like to find a few watt 405nm-ish LD for an engraver. Have a few CNC machines at home, and sometimes it would be neat to try some laser marking/cutting of thin material. Something with a very small spot size would be nice (the 2W ~450nm units have a large spot... ).

At work we had an application where we needed a very high rise rate step change in temperature. The solution was to use four 7W Modules pointed at a 1mm spot to generate the temperature change within the spot. I designed a custom constant current driver that turns the diode current on to full power in ~15nS, with no overshoot (ok, a few %, but nothing major). The diodes light output rises from zero to full power in about 15 to 20nS (Yes, nanoseconds, verified with a thor labs photo diode).

Currently we're looking for a Laser Power Meter capable of checking the actual output power of each of the 7W modules, and that's how I ended up back here on the forum again. However, one guy here just ordered a Thor Labs LPM, so I think that problem is solved now...

Anyway, Hi to all of you out there!

Dan

ManCave

Hello, Dan.

That’s quite the resume you got there, impressive!

Sadly, I won’t be able to help much with your enquires, my knowledge of lasers is limited to consumer usage.

Although, I suspect that will change with time as I hung around here.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!

Cheers!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, Dan! :)
Nice intro. BTW.
If I may ask, what general part of the world do your reside in?

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay.

Welcome, Dan, to the LPF. Not sure about any 880nm diodes. Likely 808nm diodes. Great to have you among us. Thanks for the intro.

Snecho

Agreed, very impressive set of skills you have there!

Welcome!

A visible spectrum DIY laser cutter/engraver seems like a fruitless endeavour IMO but an interesting project.

Buying a commercial CO2 40W laser cutter would be the hot ticket there. 🍻

dkemppai

Hi,

Paul, Yeah, I'm sure you are right and the old diode was 808, not 880.

We're in upper Michigan (North of Wisconsin).

Not much of a resume in terms of lasers. Not at least compared to most of you guys here!

I do have a friend who is doing some cool laser stuff. He's running some LD's to excite some fiber amps, cascaded, for around 3MW (Yes, capital M) output at a national lab. Now, that's impressive! (And, actually kind of mind numbing to think about...)

Anyway, Lasers are one of those hobbies that pop up every few years for me. This latest work project is one that we actually had an application for some bigger LD's, so that made it a fun project to build. Most of the time I fire a tube or LD up, and everyone says 'cool, what are you going to use it for?". To which the response is, "I don't know! But it's cool!" I'm sure many of you are in the same boat!

I agree, the application for the 'visible' laser cutter is somewhat limited. Drawing on paper products, and cutting one off SMT solder stencils from printer paper is about all it would probably be good for. But Still, It would be cool! :)

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome. You probably won't hear much from me. I'll be here lurking, and reading.

Keep the cool projects coming, I like looking at the pics and reading the specs!

Dan

Hi Welcome to LPF if your looking for a LPM go to J.Bauer electronics , Jerry serve many of us here on LPF.
He puts out a great LPM I have quite a few of them and they are awesome units.
Rich:)

Welcome to the LPF forum dkemppai
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas and show off your laser projects, we love to see what people build.
As always enjoy and stay safe. :)