Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HGM5 multiwatt argon (single phase!) laser pics.

So I've had this puppy for a little while now but I never had a chance to get some pictures of it.... You all might recall a few months back I bought one of these and it was busted in shipping... how sad. WELL I picked this one up LOCALLY for pennies on the dollar. It should do around 4W, but the cooling system isn't designed to sustain those kinds of power levels for more than 30 seconds at the max, so more effective cooling is definitely in the works. With really really good cooling, one should be able to get a couple watts of continuous power out of these. But its still fun to crank it up to 4W for short periods.... Anyway... here it is!

Runs on regular single phase 240v house power:
000_1250.jpg

Here is the tube idling... maybe about 50mW or 100mW. I think the tube current was 7A or so
000_1254.jpg

output end brewster stem glowing:
000_1252-1.jpg

HR end brewster stem:
000_1257.jpg

Here is the sticker that was placed on the tube from the factory. As you can see it says 4.2W @ 27A
000_1258.jpg

And here is the tube doing around 18.5A, which is around a watt of output power:
000_1259.jpg

Hope you like this! These show up fairly often at a good price so keep your eyes peeled, but get proof that it's a working unit! I had the pleasure of seeing the laser in action, in person, before I bought it.

Oh and yes, that is my working HGM5 stacked on top of my non-working HGM5..... (you know you're a laserist when......)

Re: HGM5 multiwatt argon (single phase!) laser pic

nice, i assume you got a extension cord how much was it exactly?

Razako

-->Still has no argon lasers :'(
I love the color they put out and I've been dying to get one for a while now. The problem has been that whenever I have the money I can't find any good ones on ebay and by the time a good one gets listed I've spent my hobby money on other stuff.

big problem is shipping kills

Does it max out at 27A?

To be honest I'm not sure... I have it on a 30A breaker and the breaker blows when I get to around 27A tube current so I haven't taken it any higher

You have such nice things. :cool:

In response to your PM, I use R2 (the pots should be labeled) to adjust current which looks like the pot closest to the tube to me. I'm not sure because my PSU and Tube are separate and linked by a 12/3 (magnets/ground), 10/3 (cathode/anode), 22/2 (thermal interlock) and 18/2 (starter) cables. I quickly tired of turning the thing 15 times with a screwdriver to go to max current, so I ran a few wires to a control box and replaced the 15 turn pot with a 1 turn panel mount pot so I can turn it 180 degrees by hand instead of 15 times by screwdriver. It's 1K if you feel like doing the same.

Attachments

• 000_1250.jpg
    000_1250.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 156

ahhh ok sweet. Yeah I also use r2 right now and I agree it is really annoying to try to raise and lower power on the fly with a 15 turn pot...

Oh yeah I just measured power... it's doing 1.1W in that picture, at just under 20A. Once you take it above 20A the power REALLY starts to climb with the current.