Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hey you guys can I ask you something?

Giannis_TDM

GSS

Really can't tell as the pic's are blurry but it does look the one emitter wire has burnt off the pole.
Also just to add that a red 650nm laser beam even at 150mw is not bright. A 650nm beam is about 5% as bright as a green 532.

Giannis_TDM

Hi
The Mitsu 500 diodes can do over 1W easy and
Last. They are very tough
Rich:)

GSS

Hi
:)For about $3 more it's really something to think about. Still a 637 or 638nm diode will need to be run hard for a visible beam..

That Mits diode is the ML501P73. It is quite bright at 1+ watts, but it has horrible divergence specs. It looks more like a line than a dot in beam profile.

The LPC840 is a 650 nm diode, but it can be driven to produce 400 mW of optical power. It is also a single mode diode, so the beam specs are very good.

Giannis_TDM

Hi
Ik Rich but sadly I was under the impression that red diodes need 5+ volts so I fried my Mitsubishi 150mw one is it possible to bring it back by soldering the tiny broken wire?

No, that's not possible. Once it is toast it is toast. Red diodes have a lower Vf than many other laser diodes. Keep that in mind. Also, these need to be driven with a constant current driver or they will fail. I hope you aren't driving them off a power supply or battery directly.

Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

No, that's not possible. Once it is toast it is toast.
No, that's not possible. Once it is toast it is toast.
Ok I'll just hook it up to 25 v for its final goodbye ( my 2-25 volts homemade driver https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/help-me-choose-the-right-driver.104475/ scroll all the way to the bottom)
Edit: did not do that at all is this a special case of a semi-burned diode or smt bc the brightness does not seem like a burned one to me

Last edited:
Hi, Just buy the driver from DTR I use the flex drive V5 for the Mitsu 500 and they just keep going and lasting. By purchasing the right driver you will save on diodes . Do not forget your ESD protection and safety glasses,

Giannis_TDM

Hi, Just buy the driver from DTR I use the flex drive V5 for the Mitsu 500 and they just keep going and lasting. By purchasing the right driver you will save on diodes . Do not forget your ESD protection and safety glasses,
Hey Rich the driver performs very well and I also don't have the 30+14 USD for shipping. It was my fault for burning the diode my driver outputs a constant voltage of 2-25v and a Constant current of 0-2Amps(measured with a very good multimeter. It was my fault bc I did not look at the spreadsheet and fed the diode 4,5 or more volts. A lesson learned would you say. but still, I will buy the sharp 700mw red laser diode from dtr when I have the money.

Hi,
ok the shipping depends were you are from on the continent . I must have missed that sorry.

Giannis_TDM

Hi,
ok the shipping depends were you are from on the continent . I must have missed that sorry.

Rich it's ok don't be sorry. I am located in Greece and I do not really need an other driver as I am not really concerned about size and testing it on a burned mitsu 150mw it performs well. https://ibb.co/kyxgvb3

Hi, Ok I hope it all works out for you , looking forward to some beam shots.

My want to add your location into your personal profile.
We need that to give you better advice.. btw did you make an 'intro' thread in the welcome section..if not make one now and put Greece in your title so others from there can network with you--any member owning a power meter will your lasers free.