Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

helping hands from hell!!!

Kenom

Ok, I couldn't stand it. I've decided to share with you all distinguished folks my newest addition to laser design and modification tools.

We've all seen the helping hands at radio shack. metal base with two alligator clips mounted on a metal bar capable of being moved in almost any conceivable position and a magnifying glass for extra magnification of those small to see items. Now I don't personally care for the magnifying glass as it's too big but to each thier own.

I recently saw a newer helping hand at radioshack and just had to get it cause I had a great idea for improving it beyond it's original design. The newer one includes a spring at the base for holding your hot soldering iron and a sponge for cleaning the tip off. I needed a holder for my soldering iron since I was using a aluminum tripod to hold my soldering iron.

So, $15.99 and a few hours later I come up with this work of art! Behold. The larger clip has plastic dip on it to make it electrically isolated and to make it so it will hold things without marring a metal surface. I also increased the size of the rod so that there is enough room for both armatures.

Hope you guys like it and feel free to copy it! LOL

S

SenKat

I like it ! I gather the diapers are there for when you cannot tear yourself away from the workbench ? LOL !!! You know I love you, man...I just HAD to ! I am NOT brave enough to take photos of my nasty lab right now - not until it has been cleaned up some more first :p hehehehehehe That is a very innovative design - looks VERY useful ! I personally hve one of those "old man" magnifyer lights that I cannot live without ! It makes SM repair work not only possible, but EASY !

Daedal

You really went over the top on this one Ken. :D

That's HUGE! ;D Could come in handy many, many times though. ;)

--DDL

Yea, these do come in pretty handy.
I've found places online that occasionally have them or variations for even cheaper, but $15 isn't to bad. I've got one with a large magnifying glass attached, then just the other day I ordered 3 more lessor ones without the magnifier that should arrive anytime.

Jack

I now know what to do when my Harbor Freight unit fails to grip something!

That's crazy. I originally bought a few of the magnifiers for work with coins, but they've come in handy for so much more. I recently picked up 6 units from harbor freight since they were only $3 apiece or so.

Gazoo

SenKat said:
I am NOT brave enough to take photos of my nasty lab right now - not until it has been cleaned up some more first :p

Does this mean you don't even use diapers.. ;D ;D ;D

Kenom

Gazoo said:
[quote author=SenKat link=1189318228/0#1 date=1189334843]  I am NOT brave enough to take photos of my nasty lab right now - not until it has been cleaned up some more first :p

Does this mean you don't even use diapers.. ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Too damned funny!

Things

hey great work mate! just a suggestion, maybe you could ground it so if you are working with sensitive components, you won't kill em?

Kenom

Nice idea. I'll have to think about how to implement that.

you might consider bolting it to a larger base, but it looks great - I may have to copy this idea...

Kenom

I got the bar out of an old lexmark printer I tore apart. I used it for the longest time as a prybar as it was twice as long as it currently is. This also works wonderful for putting the luxeon star from the dorcy in it and soldering right on it. The smaller aligator clips are just too small to accomplish it! Now if I can come up with a way to mount a multimeter behind it so I can read it easily and it should be able to handle the probes as well. There are lots of ways that I can improve this sucker!