Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

help

Gazoo

160ma's to light a non sharpied safety match. :) More than 250ma's to light a white headed paper match. In both cases the beam needs to be focused on the match within 2 feet of the laser. Of course if you apply 250ma's, you will be able to light a safety match much further away from the laser.

Gazoo said:
160ma's to light a non sharpied safety match. :) More than 250ma's to light a white headed paper match. In both cases the beam needs to be focused on the match within 2 feet of the laser. Of course if you apply 250ma's, you will be able to light a safety match much further away from the laser.

Gazoo I have lit a sharpied paper match from 5 feet away with my Dorcy. ;D

Things

yes it could with proper cooling! an aixiz module won't cut it for that power

Gazoo

Well it also depends on how well the diode behaves. An Aixiz module will keep it cool enough providing you run it with short duty cycles. But again each diode is different. For example, I accidentally hit one of the GB diodes with 390ma's, but only for a second. Thankfully the little mirrors in it didn't explode.. ;D It is still working fine with the current limited to 250ma's.

lets say 200Ma's can the AixiZ module cut it fo that and if i add artic silver?

Gazoo

Yes...200ma's should be comfortable enough for the diode. As tight as the diode presses into the module you don't need to add any thermal grease.

Kenom

now I'll disagree with gazoo on the thermal grease. Yes it's not NECESSARY. When you look at thermal managment even a 1-10% increase in the thermal efficiency is going to help. You have to look at the fact that no two metals is going to mesh perfectly and the thermal grease fills in those spaces for better heat transfer.

S

SenKat

To me ? It's too dangerous to use the thermal compound when putting the diode into the module....if there is ANY spillover - POOF yer diode is toast...

Kenom

there is always that to consider. i've had a few that have had thermal compound spill over onto the diode window and have had no problems cleaning it off with a alcohol dabbed q-tip then clean any residual traces from it with my lenspen. I however can understand how someone would not want to go to the extra effort and think to each thier own. It certainly won't hurt to not use it in this case.

Gazoo

You don't want to get any around the legs of the diode either. While Arctic Silver claims the compound is not electrically conductive, they do claim it is slightly capacitive.

I've been using Reference Silver thermal compound on all my diodes. What I do, since this is extremely thick, is dab a slight film on the diode itself, but only on the ring that holds it into the Aixiz module. For me, there has been virtually no spillover, and what little does press back out can easily be cleaned away from the pins with a cotton swab. So far, it has worked extremely well for me.