Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with research topic

CTM

I have a research project that is due in the following weeks. I understand I will be the one doing the research, I just need an idea for a topic.
This is pretty much what the project has to include: to research a current engineering design, product, or concept that is, or soon will be, impacting society.
It will be great if it had something to do with lasers, but I can also research anything else as long as it's interesting.
I will need to discuss the positive impact on society, as well as argue the negative impact.
I'm open to your ideas, Thanks!

Last edited:

blu ray disc players.

Positive - higher resolution video, longer running playback.

Negatives - Kipkay, irresponsible use of lasers that burn, blind and are used to light bongs.

CTM

blu ray disc players.

Positive - higher resolution video, longer running playback.

Negatives - Kipkay, irresponsible use of lasers that burn, blind and are used to light bongs.

Funny.
Do you have a topic that won't result in a bad grade.

If you really wanted it to be involving lasers, medical advances like eye surgery, burning off tumors and similar applications could be used as positive reasons.

using them to disable security cameras, blind police in pursuit of criminals and pranksters shining them at athletes, airplanes and motorists could be plenty enough negative reasons.

really I am trying to help you figure out how to keep your paper about lasers for you.

Like any technology, the ALL have good and bad sides.

Explosives have useful purpose in demolition, tunnel construction and mining operations, but are also used by terrorists to make bombs.

Man discovered fire, we cook, stay warm and make light. But Johnny arsonist burns down peoples houses for fun.

Cars transport us to work, and drunks run over little girls with them.

I can't write your paper for you, Like I tell my kids, there is your ideas, run with them.

CTM

I now I will have to do most of the major work on this research. Just finding the topic is killing me right now, even though I have at least a week to find it.
It has to be over some form of new engineering design, product, or technology that may have not yet been released to the general public.
Do lasers fall in that category?
Still, I'm supposed to discuss the both positive and negative impacts they could have on society.

Here is a good one.

Bio diesel, its good for the obvious reasons, bad because land is being stripped to grow soybeans to make the fuel.

And it's kinda new.

Look it up.

CTM

Thanks, I'll run it up with my partner on this project. We will go over with what we have come up with tomorrow, but I doubt if he is investigating any ideas.
Do you happen to know any in the electronics/electrical category?

You could write about NIF... the National Ignition facility in California... it will soon be impacting society!

CTM

You could write about NIF... the National Ignition facility in California... it will soon be impacting society!

Interesting. I'm looking up information about it.

Keep those ideas coming, please. I need as many good ideas as I can get. It will also need to be approved by the instructor, so I don't know if she will be picky and reject some of our ideas.

Carbon nanotubes (and other nanostructures/particles if you want to be more general). Great for the nearly limitless engineering possibilities, but nanotubes (and other nanotechnology) may have some serious health effects that are as yet unknown. Are carbon nanotubes the next asbestos? What's going to happen when they're all around us and we're exposed to them every day?

What about nanobots that are injected into the body to repair tissue & augment the body's white blood cells in fighting infection. Supposedly, they can be programmed to accomplish a myriad of functions. Even fighting cancer, while leaving near-by healthy tissue alone. rob

What about the use of lasers in a cars engine... I was reading an article where the engine will become more efficient is lasers were to ignite the fuel instead of spark plugs. It could also be used with hydrogen. I dont know if they are going to go ahead with it but it was an idea.

positive: more efficient engines, fuel will last you longer therefore you need less, hydrogen gass burns and turns to water,could be pollutionless, etc...

neg: cost of production, failure of many parts, expense of new parts, etc..

CTM

Wow,
thanks everyone who contributed. I have to look more into the ideas given, and will narrow my choices down.