Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with Phatlight driver/build?

Hey all,

I got a projector (minus diodes) for cheap, and I have extracted quite a few things, including the precious phatlight. Now I powered it up via my small power supply-- 2A @3V DC, and while that's quite nice for a quick test, I need to figure out a driver for it, and a driver for the TEC it's attached to.

If possible, a driver for the phatlight that I could adjust the current on-the-fly with a pot would be nice, but otherwise, I need something that can do maybe... Somewhere between 4-8A at 3V DC (that's what I want to run it at, right?). Anything in that range would be fine. And I have no clue what a driver for the TEC would look like, or what voltage it needs.

Basically, I need to know what drivers I need to be able to power:

1x Phatlight at around 6 amps input. Not sure what voltage, around 3V DC most likely.
1x TEC. I think it's 12V DC, not sure.
1x Fan. No clue at all what I'll need to run it as.

I'm not very good with drivers and voltage stepup/stepdown and amperage limiting, so advice would be great.

I don't mind buying from DX, in fact, cheaper is better.

I plan on using the stock heatsink and TEC and fan in order to achieve max heat conduction ability. I will either run this off of a bench supply, or mount it in a large roomy plastic host, with the fan installed and running from either a bench supply OR a large LiPo cell battery.

Last edited:

ARG

Off topic, but were did you buy the projector? I think the TEC that comes out of the A140 is 5V, not entirely sure though.

Off topic, but were did you buy the projector? I think the TEC that comes out of the A140 is 5V, not entirely sure though.

Got it from Garoq for $35 shipped :D.

You can PM him and see if he would offer you the same deal, I have no clue if he has more he can sell.

Well, what you CAN do is just use a single LT1083 (rated at 7.5A) and build a simple DDL circuit with it, using a REALLY beefy resistor. Would give you up to 7.5A of current, with a low-drop out linear regulator.

I figure, this way, you can *probably* get away with using two LiPo batteries.

LaZeRz

Direct drive, direct drive and direct drive :p

Yeh, as Wolfman suggested... Simple DDL circuit for both the LED and TEC, although, im not too sure what current the TEC's take... Guessing around 200-300ma??

im bumping this thread because i also need help:whistle:

so can i direct drive of a 18650 i thought it would be too much voltage

Last edited: