Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with making a 405nm Laser

Laik

Thanks, that would be great. :beer: Maybe he is on holidays?

Laik

Good news, he responded. He had a bad cold. One more PM and i should have ordered the last part for my laser :D

I know he did :p

He wasn't feeling good for the last week or so that's why he hasn't been very active.

Laik

I knew that boost drivers (Dr Lava's V5) ran off only 1 cell, but i didn't know anything else about them. I just found out that they boost the voltage hahahaha. So if i used a v5 flex drive set to 120ma running 1 x 18650, would i get the same mw output as a buck driver running at 120ma on 2 x 18350's?

Laik

And do the micro boost and v5 flex drive automatically adjust to the diodes input voltage? If not, how do you set it?

From what i know the voltage is irrelevant as long as it is in range. Current regulation works by adjusting the voltage until the load is drawing the right current. You could do Constant voltage regulation if you knew the exact V/I of that particular diode, however since each diode is different you would need an adjustable constant current driver anyway to plot that data so it is easier to just use that in the first place.
TL,DR: yes that is how they work :)

Sorry if i made any mistakes since i couldn't be bothered to dig out a textbook to check.

Laik

thanks but im stuck with a buck or linear driver for this build because i already ordered some 18350's. Still waiting on a reply from lazeerer though, i sent him another pm asking if he had paypal fees or i just sent him what he quoted me (18 USD)

Garoq

Cool, thanks. As soon as i saw the price for shipping on survival laser i closed my browser haha. I'll just wait a few more days and see if he reply's :)

We basically charge the USPS online price plus PayPal/credit card costs.

The U.S. Post office recently increased their shipping costs significantly on Priority Mail international and Express Mail international packages. However, Priority Mail international service has been upgraded to include full package tracking.

In speaking with a USPS rep recently, they are planning to add First Class international service as an online option later this year. This will be a lower cost alternative for small orders.

You cannot power a laser diode with a constant voltage driver even if you knew exactly what voltage to set it to. The reason behind this is as the diode heats up its internal resistance decreases and it then will take more current at the same voltage so then your current would climb and then the heat would climb more and you would get into a loop of heat and current climbing until the diode burns itself out. You control the current so no matter what voltage the diode pulls it will never take more current than you allow it. All drivers we use for laser diodes here are constant current.

Lazeerer doesn't charge paypal fees. They are included in the cost. He usually asks $15 for the driver and $3 for shipping so there is your $18.

Laik

Thanks guys, that a little more info i shove into the squishy thing in my head. Do i just send him 18 USD and send him a pm saying i sent him the money and what current to set it to? Also, my diodes, heatsink, batteries, charger, aixiz modules, diode press and dust caps turned up. DX is waiting for restock on their c6's (took 2 weeks to ship my stuff to oz, was surprised) and i just gotta order the X-Drive.

If he gave you his paypal then you should be good with sending the money with the driver info in the note to the payment as well as your LPF username. It couldn't hurt to send a PM as well.