Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with a build 20mw blue with driver

Hey guys:

I have a little issue i need help with.. I bought one of the 20 MW 405 NM diodes with driver attached from fasttech..... According to the specs i saw online the current is 3 to 5 v and the working current is 40 ma.. I was thinking of taking a 9 led flash light striping off all the leds and using the sliver holder to hold the diode, run the three triple A's to power the thing.. Only thing i can figure out is how to make a cheap heatsink... Also is there a way to short the button they have on the driver and use a click switch.... I have a couple of flashlights that are single bulb leds if that would work better This is my first true build and i don't want to fry this diode

Edit... I have a old battery pack that is 4.5 volts from a old children's toy... I have that plastic project box I can do some thing with that... I am wondering the little driver has a V+ and a V- on the board I am assuming that is to by pass the spring on the board as for + and negative am i wrong in assuming this

Last edited:

If you can get a dremmel and to home depot you could use this method... I have for many builds. http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/cheap-handy-source-copper-heatsinks-73893.html

As far as your 405nm if it's this unit $10.85 50mW 405nm Blue-Violet / Royal Purple Dot Laser Module at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping then I believe it's a case positive module and you should be able to get one of those 3AAA primaries battery trays from a cheap LED light to easily power that up. Your almost there keep researching.

Posting pics wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Jander its the 20 MW of the same kind as the fifty and here are some pics of what I have and i have some copper pipe pieces here and a cheap dremel knock off but it would work I have some bodies from 9 LED light and two single led one will not work because it AAA and single so no go there than there is my 7 dollar cree qs5 three mode that runs on 18650... and my little plastic box that need a little sizing to fit this 12mm diode.. so if I put a wire in th v+ hole and solder it and one to the v- which is by the power spring and find a way to run both the v+ to a connection on the box ie a piece of metal and hook it up to 3 to 5 v at 40ma and a secondary switch i think it would work

9515-0407141736a.jpg

9515-0407141736a.jpg

9513-0407141735.jpg

Look up case positive in the search. You will see that the brass on the module will be your positive anode and your spring will be your negative cathode. I'm almost certain.

Look up case positive in the search. You will see that the brass on the module will be your positive anode and your spring will be your negative cathode. I'm almost certain.

ok thanks Jander I appreciate the help

Grata on a su cessful build! Ordered my parts I hope next week ill be writing my first build review.. cant wait. Was this ur first build?

Tmack

Great you got yours going. Now that you have some confidence, you'll be ordering parts like crazy :D

Congrats. +1

Last edited:
got it to wrk a hour later the board shorted out ... fried diode... nbd 2.99 fasttech just have 2 by a few more start all over