Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help - Niece wants to set up a laser obstacle course

KTM300

My niece is in charge of a workshop at a youth camp and wants to set up a laser obstacle course, similar to what you see in movies for security systems. I told her I would help her, so I am hoping this is possible, not too hard, and not too expensive. I figured it could be done with some laser pointers and mirrors. I have a fog machine to hopefully make the laser beams visible. Will this work? Any suggestions on how to do it and what lasers to use? Thanks for any help you can give!

What is your budget?

Any laser over 5mW is an eye hazard.

Is $50 completely unrealistic?

Assuming your "obstacle course" has multiple lasers, and they are triggerable, probably unrealistic. 5mW pointers should be visible in a perfectly dark room, but if you are looking for detection of beam $50 is probably insufficient.

You will need several of these. 650nm 5mW laser module.3.2V 12x30mm kip kay project | eBay

You will definitely need the fog machine to see the beams.

If you plan on bouncing the beam back and forth more than a few times you will need first surface mirrors. The platter out of old hard drives work great for this.

it might be easier ( and much safer ) to simulate a laser obstacle course with florescent string and a few black lights.

AUS

You could do it with lots of mirrors and just a few pointers. It may be hard to line everything up though.

The electronics are easy. Cheap laser pointer bouncing off a few mirrors shinning on an LDR. The LDR connected to a buzzer or alarm by a transistor.

KTM300

it might be easier ( and much safer ) to simulate a laser obstacle course with florescent string and a few black lights.

I never thought of this, but I think this may be the better and easier route to go. I will have to discuss it with my niece. Any idea where the best place is to buy fluorescent string? A quick Google search didn't turn up much. I will have to search more.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Last edited:

ARG

You can make florescant string by soaking it in laundry detergent, pulling it through a piece of plastic with a small hole in it to get the excess off and letting it dry. Shouldn't cost more than the cost of the string and lighting. (Assuming you have detergent on hand.

Highlighter ink would work as well. It might be a bit more expensive though.