Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help Needed.

Amazing, So collimated photons directly hitting the retina is what does it in.

Exactly, the lenses in your eyes are designed to focus a collimated beam on a tiny spot at your retina (it appeared to be a huge evolutionary advantage for our ancestors to see things far away, like predators or something to eat) like a camera lens does. So even some mW can be dangerous if collimated well.

Be safe
Singlemode

Amazing, So collimated photons directly hitting the retina is what does it in.
Yep, sorry there (thanks Paul for putting me right.)

The collimated beam is the major hazard, but you can still do temporary damage from reflections off surfaces. Maybe not holes in your retina but there's plenty of othe

Really, the uncollimted light off a wall, for instance, will only do damage like a flash on a camera temporarily blinds you. The light here is only another bright source of light and nothing more.

Really, the uncollimted light off a wall, for instance, will only do damage like a flash on a camera temporarily blinds you. The light here is only another bright source of light and nothing more.
Fair enough. Still not pleasant regardless! I can't remember where it was but I did read somewhere that exposure to high-intensity 445nm (or nearby blues of similar...) "temporarily" screws up the eye's perception of green colours for up to several months though...

Beware what you read online. Unless it is backed up with experimental data from a trusted source you can't know if it is real or somebody's dream. YT is a perfect example of places to not trust.

Regardless of collimated or not, Watts of power hitting your eyeball are enough to boil the water inside them. While you want get this from diffuse reflections, metalic surfaces or mirrors are common in the typical household. Laser safety first!

Singlemode

'Amazing...SOOOOOOOOO'
I am not impressed...''more'' like insulted.. come back 'grasshopper' after you READ..READ and read some more.. you ask WAY too much of me..(us) we don't have 'Cliff's Notes' for Lasers.

ooops-- just thought..
NewGen might be a girl..
my bad m'am. JKing== enjoy the forum.. btw could you teach me to be an EE in a week or less?

Last edited:

NuGenZ3D

'Amazing...SOOOOOOOOO'
I am not impressed...''more'' like insulted.. come back 'grasshopper' after you READ..READ and read some more.. you ask WAY too much of me..(us) we don't have 'Cliff's Notes' for Lasers.

ooops-- just thought..
NewGen might be a girl..
my bad m'am. JKing== enjoy the forum.. btw could you teach me to be an EE in a week or less?
Seeing as I’m In my second year, probably not, in addition I would need to pass a electrical PE exam to properly licensed in New York to disseminate any legal education.

NuGenZ3D

Fair enough. Still not pleasant regardless! I can't remember where it was but I did read somewhere that exposure to high-intensity 445nm (or nearby blues of similar...) "temporarily" screws up the eye's perception of green colours for up to several months though...

It could be due to cone fatigue, the oversaturated narrow color range and power of a laser beam probably fatigues your eye’s cones much faster than that of normal light.