Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help needed laser Diode temeanals all broke!

I have a Sony 16X DVD Burner Diode. This is my very first laser project and I managed to screw it all up. The terminals on the diode are all snapped from heat from the solder and me trying to twine the terminals with wire.. The diode still works I tested it with a needle and grounded the diode by using itself as ground. I want to make permanent connections but really hard. All termanals are snapped. I could use some help. Thanks.

The only way to solve your problem is to obtain a new diode. You could try soldering some micro-fine wire to the terminals, but most likely after the abuse it's been through already, this would just make a mess or further ensure the death of the diode.

Sorry buddy :'(

On the bright side, if you haven't ruined at least one diode, then you're not a true DIYer. trust me we've all been there.

ElektroFreak said:
On the bright side, if you haven't ruined at least one diode, then you're not a true DIYer. trust me we've all been there.

i have killed 3 16x and 1 commercial 1mw diode...lol....dont worry its all worth it once it lights a match..trust me...everyone has been in you situation

Good Luck on your laser

I FIXED IT BUT THE DIODE IS NOT AS POWERFUL AS IT USED TO BE. ANY REASONS WHY.

Well that sure sucks Any Idea where I can get a replacement for less than 20 bucks.

you probably heated it up wayyy to much trying to get that lead soldier to the wire.. also check to see if you got any solider splatter that's shorting the pin to the case

Mikey --

Look in the GB section here. LOC's for under $20. Don't get one if you can't handle it property. You need small wires and soldering equipment.

Mike

On a slightly off-topic note I'd just like to say I'm in love with the PHR-803T for the fact that no pin is connected to the case. If one breaks off it's fairly easy to solder the pin-stub to the casing with a bit of flux and a tiny solder ball. The leftover "ground" pin will do fine to replace the broken one unless you managed to rotate it and break the tiny gold wires going from the pin to the die.