Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me with my electrical project.

As some of you know I have been building some titanium hosts and anodizing them. Anodizing titanium is based on dc voltage, each volt for 1-130 volts give you a different color. So I need a power supply that is adjustable from 1-130 dc volts. Current does not have to be high at all 1-2 amp is plenty. A power supply for this purpose is about 230 bucks so I would like to build one instead.

So what I have so far is a transformer that I rewound and it puts out 149v ac after I run it though a rectifier I have 135 volts dc. What I need help with is the voltage control itself. I need to be able to adjust it anywhere from 1-130 volts. I thought about a ceiling fan switch but I don't thank it's going to give me the full range that I need, any ideas on this? Thanks

Things

I have a friend that got a high voltage adjustable PSU for this purpose, was fairly cheap too IIRC and it even had digital control, if you wanted to use it on a CNC-type setup. I'll see if I can find it.

If you still want to DIY it yourself just get an inexpensive Variac to power that transformer with. Any other solution will be expensive or (relatively) difficult to construct.

I agree. Variacs are the way to go. Then into a rectifier
and possibly a capacitor. Just be extra careful with
shorts. I was trying to anodize aluminum the other day
and a short blew my diodes. Shorts can develop for
seemingly no reason.