Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me with a new laser build

The NUBM44 is the highest power diode right now, but it's divergence is so bad that there are better options for a burning laser. A 3 watt 445nm 9mm diode would work even better unless you are willing to put the extra optics to correct it's terrible beam divergence. I'll look for the links you want if you still want to use this diode.

Sure that would be great, so could you send the link to the 3 watt that you would get for the s4x host, and is there another site that you would recommend for bigger hosts?
Also to use the 6 watt and focus it would I need to get what extra, just incase I wanted to go that way aswell, but if you could link the 3 watt aswell that would be great. Thanks

Garoq

IPman21, here is a list of parts and information to build what you are describing:

S4X Host Assembly
(with the extended and tapered heat sink option, driver pill doesn’t matter, your choice of color and logo, your choice holster or not)

DIY SXD Driver & Pill Module
(with the 4.5A current option. Alternatively, you can purchase the SXD from DTR and assemble it yourself with the SL driver heat sink pill)

G-2 Lens Assembly

External Lens Spring

Céramique 2 Thermal Compound 2.7 grams

AW IMR 18650 Rechargeable Batteries
(two batteries required)

18650 Battery Charger

Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

Silicone Lens Cap

Universal Warning Label

And you will need to purchase an NUBM44 diode in a copper module from DTR with the half length back half option (the one on this page without a lens for $110):

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/6w-nubm44-445nm-laser-diode

Instructions for soldering and assembly, as well as safety and liability information, can be found on this LPF tutorial and in the links posted near the bottom of the SL international store home page:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/7...t-w-nubm44-diode-4-5a-sxd-tutorial-95513.html
(this tutorial shows additional assembly detail which is not needed if you purchase our SXD 4.5A driver and pill module)

Survival Laser II SE 445nm Parts Bundle Assembly & Operation Instructions
(this is for a smaller unit but assembly is similar)

How to solder a diode to a driver module

​G-1 Lens Spring Addendum

Recommended Safety Precautions

Important Safety Information

Survival Laser Warranty, Liability & Indemnification Policy

I'll be happy to answer any other questions. :beer:

IPman21, here is a list of parts and information to build what you are describing:

S4X Host Assembly
(with the extended and tapered heat sink option, driver pill doesn’t matter, your choice of color and logo, your choice holster or not)

DIY SXD Driver & Pill Module
(with the 4.5A current option. Alternatively, you can purchase the SXD from DTR and assemble it yourself with the SL driver heat sink pill)

G-2 Lens Assembly

External Lens Spring

Céramique 2 Thermal Compound 2.7 grams

AW IMR 18650 Rechargeable Batteries
(two batteries required)

18650 Battery Charger

Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

Silicone Lens Cap

Universal Warning Label

And you will need to purchase an NUBM44 diode in a copper module from DTR with the half length back half option (the one on this page without a lens for $110):

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/6w-nubm44-445nm-laser-diode

Instructions for soldering and assembly, as well as safety and liability information, can be found on this LPF tutorial and in the links posted near the bottom of the SL international store home page:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/7...t-w-nubm44-diode-4-5a-sxd-tutorial-95513.html
(this tutorial shows additional assembly detail which is not needed if you purchase our SXD 4.5A driver and pill module)

Survival Laser II SE 445nm Parts Bundle Assembly & Operation Instructions
(this is for a smaller unit but assembly is similar)

How to solder a diode to a driver module

​G-1 Lens Spring Addendum

Recommended Safety Precautions

Important Safety Information

Survival Laser Warranty, Liability & Indemnification Policy

I'll be happy to answer any other questions. :beer:

Thanks for the help, should I go with the 3 watt or 6 watt diode? Which will be better for short range burning and focusing

The 3 watt diode is on DTR's website. It is the NDB7875 and the bare diode goes for $49.00. You can send him a PM and ask to get the diode in a larger copper module with the driver set for 2.4 amps and heat sinked to the module. To run it at that power it needs to be heat sinked instead of soldered onto the diode's leads. I would get it with the aspheric lens he has offered for a G2 replacement as it is cheaper and does very nearly as well in this case. He would be the one to help you get the best deal and to steer you to the right direction on everything you might need. The optics and beam expander for the NUBM44is too much information to post in one post. That has been dealt with in many threads.

The 3 watt diode is on DTR's website. It is the NDB7875 and the bare diode goes for $49.00. You can send him a PM and ask to get the diode in a larger copper module with the driver set for 2.4 amps and heat sinked to the module. To run it at that power it needs to be heat sinked instead of soldered onto the diode's leads. I would get it with the aspheric lens he has offered for a G2 replacement as it is cheaper and does very nearly as well in this case. He would be the one to help you get the best deal and to steer you to the right direction on everything you might need. The optics and beam expander for the NUBM44is too much information to post in one post. That has been dealt with in many threads.

Thanks, NDB7875 445nm 9mm Diode
In 12mm Copper Module
W/2.4A X-Drive &
G-2 Glass Lens
Would this one work or should I still message him.

Garoq

Thanks for the help, should I go with the 3 watt or 6 watt diode? Which will be better for short range burning and focusing

For short range burning the 6W is better. If you use the 3 watt I recommend 2.2A for longer life, with 2.4A max.

For short range burning the 6W is better. If you use the 3 watt I recommend 2.2A for longer life, with 2.4A max.

NUBM44 450nm Laser Diode
In 12mm Copper Module
W/SXD Driver &
G-2 Lens
7-12V Input Driver Attached Via Lead For Easy Heatsinking
$170

So if I were to get this and every other part you listed would that be good for burning, also the SXD driver that is already on it, would that work or do I need the one you posted? Thanks
EDIT: http://www.survivallaserusa.com/Blank_Battery_Contact_Board/p1667092_7862119.aspx
And that for the power right?

Last edited:

Garoq

Yes that will work, but you will need to bond the SXD to the heat sink driver pill as shown in the tutorial. And yes you will need the blank battery contact board to bring the power from the batteries to the SXD.

Yes that will work, but you will need to bond the SXD to the heat sink driver pill as shown in the tutorial. And yes you will need the blank battery contact board to bring the power from the batteries to the SXD.

I just ordered the parts from survival laser for a 4 watt. But now when I try to log in and see my order the free webshop thing is down. Thanks for all of the help

Garoq

I just ordered the parts from survival laser for a 4 watt. But now when I try to log in and see my order the free webshop thing is down. Thanks for all of the help

Not sure I see an order from you. What city are you located in?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, I agree with you on that, Pete! Been thinking the same thing myself. :whistle: