Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me configure my New MacBook Pro!

Ok so I finally have enough bone for a New Apple MBP! ;D ;D ;D Good bye Windows forever!!!! Ha Ha Ha!! (well kinda)

However, IDK whether I should get the $2000 version or the $2500 one.  :-/

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTE3MDE

Also is there a noticeable difference between 5400rpm and 7200rpm drives? I'm guessing it may load boot camp faster. It's only another $50 for the upgrade. How will it affect noise and battery life?

I'm kinda leaning toward the cheaper one because a .1 increase in GHz aint that much and 250GB HD is more than enough for me. Plus I think I can do the upgrade to 4GB ram myself for cheaper.
(I may dabble in gaming, movie editing, music recording, and a Vista Boot Camp)

Dose anyone have the super duper MBP? Is is worth it?

Thanx
-Tony

inb4 mac vs. pc war (I guess I'll start)

You should get neither because they are macs :p

crocie

HumanSymphony said:
inb4 mac vs. pc war (I guess I'll start)

and because there laptops on top of that.

unless you need a laptop for work, or absolutly cant live without the portability, i really dont recommend a laptop of any kind. there just inferior, load times, boot times, screen size, power, life expectancy... the list keeps goin....

soz to rain on your parade  :-[

also, go with the 2K one, and upgrade ram yourself. its much cheaper.

[edit]
upgrading laptop isn't as hard as you might think, there are probs loads of tutorials on the net.
no good ones that i know of specific to macs tho.

crocie said:
[quote author=HumanSymphony link=1231139895/0#1 date=1231147942]inb4 mac vs. pc war (I guess I'll start)

and because there laptops on top of that.

unless you need a laptop for work, or absolutly cant live without the portability, i really dont recommend a laptop of any kind. [highlight]there just inferior, load times, boot times, screen size, power, life expectancy... the list keeps goin....[/highlight]

soz to rain on your parade  :-[

also, go with the 2K one, and upgrade ram yourself. its much cheaper.

[edit]
upgrading laptop isn't as hard as you might think, there are probs loads of tutorials on the net.
no good ones that i know of specific to macs tho.[/quote]
Big factor: it's far overpriced. Also, just because it can be that thin, doesn't mean it should be. That has horrendous effects on it's performace, durability, and lifetime. No space; heatsinking must be terrible. etc. Plus, since they're using intel processors these days, they are no longer different than a "PC." The only "good" thing about it is the OS (which is FAIL. used macs in school my whole life and still hate it).

crocie

yer i hear ya ;)

so pretty much: dont get a laptop unless you HAVE to. :)

but if you must, buy the $1,999 variant and upgrade the ram yourself.

Or buy a Pc laptop, which isn't a rip-off, and would be cheaper ;D

rkcstr

I'd go with the 7200rpm drive, I don't really notice any noise on mine, and I don't think it will detract any significant amount of time from battery life.  But, you'll get faster overall performance since it can read/write faster.

It's hard to say whether the extras are worth $500.  I'd say that unless you need the extra ram on the video card, its not really worth it... you can add the drive/ram yourself for pretty cheap.

To crocie:  I never used to have a laptop before I started school and they recommended one for classes, but now I couldn't be without one.  I have both a desktop and laptop, while the desktop is faster and has more storage (which I need), I love being able to use my laptop where-ever; watching TV in the living room, sitting in bed, at school, even on the road if I need to work on a paper or something.  Notebook's sacrifice power and features for portability, which I think most people accept... I suppose you don't because you don't see any need for that feature.  I don't expect ANY laptop (at least that you'd be willing to lug around with you) to replace a desktop computer, I just want one to have easy access to a computer when I don't want to be sitting at my desk.

artix

apple-new-logo-lg(1).jpg

Macs FTW!

Thanx abadcaffeinetrip and rkcstr for the advice! ;D

To the PC lovers... I hate Vista! Laptops are awesome! And Macs are great too!

I need a Laptop fop school!

-Tony

Xplorer877 said:
Thanx abadcaffeinetrip and rkcstr for the advice! ;D

To the PC lovers... I hate Vista! Laptops are awesome! And Macs are great too!

I need a Laptop fop school!

-Tony
lol a lot of PC lovers hate vista as well.

Mac haters: Have you actually used a MBP before? They're really very nice laptops.

I work at a computer store, we sell exclusively PC's. I've been using building and fixing computers for over 15 years and have never owned a mac, I'm a long term PC user. At the shop we sell a lot of Asus gaming laptops, so I've had a lot of time to play with their latest and greatest... But still, I have to say, macbook pro's are f**ing nice laptops.

Even if you go all out and get a $2000 PC laptop with better specs than the mac, it'll be made of cheap plastic, the seams and screws are visible, etc etc... Macbook pro's are a very sexy piece of engineering, all the parts are flush, the seams are invisible, everything's manufactured to a higher standard, there's no end of little details that will continue to amaze you if you have any time to play with a MBP... I've contemplated buying a macbook in order to use it as a regular pc and run windows on it, but was put off by lack of home and end keys, insert and delete keys, and a right mouse button. If it weren't for those facts, I'd totally put out the extra money for the amazing build quality of the mac.

abadcaffeinetrip said:
Apple does support a right mouse button:
  • on a track pad you can tap with two fingers
  • On Apple mouses from the last year and a half, you can enable right click in the preferences pain and then click on right side of the mouse (though there is no visible right button, it is there)
  • You can plug in any other mouse and use that instead

As far as they keyboard goes - It is a matter of learning different shortcuts.  You can jump to the end of lines in OS X - you just don't use the end key. (If in Windows, Linux, Solaris, BSD, etc, you can just get a different kbd)

I was referring to using Windows XP via Boot Camp. There is no multitouch and the right side of the button counts as a left click. :(
You need to use shift+f10 to right click.

pseudolobster said:
Mac haters: Have you actually used a MBP before? They're really very nice laptops.

Exactly my point! They are built better physically and have more stable software. I need a computer that's going to last.

To those who say Mac's are excessively expensive... well... I mean RPL's are cool but... $$$$ for a light. Eeeek

I'm just saying that people here are no strangers to spending alot of money on electronics. ::)

-Tony

jwc

abadcaffeinetrip said:
4GB of ram is a must if you are going to be using any virtual machines.  However, you could buy the 2GB machine and upgrade it to 4 for probably less than $120....but I haven't checked on price recently.

I have 2 gigs of RAM and can run several VMs at once without a problem. Then again, I also use Linux as my host OS.

IMO the only reason to buy Apple hardware is to run OS X. But now, that's not even really necessary anymore.

If I had $2000-$2500 to spend, I'd buy a top-of-the line ASUS laptop. But then again, I'm not a huge fan of OS X, so it doesn't really matter to me.