Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

help me choose a burning laser!!!

nc527

Hey every body Im new and iI getting my second laser.but before that i need a site where i can get laser laws!!!!!i live in the USA in Northcarolina.i have a price range of under one hundred dollars if i can get one for that.so lasers for that price that can burn or ignite matchs or fireworks or somthing like that.[im kinda a pyro].But im only 13 so i cant be that much of a pyroso if its that much or slightly over i can get it so keep ideas coming and plz pm me as well as posting

Rhith

Re: help!!!!

Well for the most part laws are fairly lax and are logical. Don't shine them at people, anything living, vehicles, planes, and government buildings. You always have to be weary of reflections as well and how the beam travels. At your budget though you would be looking more at something that can pop balloons not burn without optical aid. You can try building your own laser or finding someone on here that will build one for you at that price however. Your best bets would be here: http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.911 and here: http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=83

Cheapest way to go is to build your own and learn from the experience on this site and BE SAFE. If you're 13, you might be mature and able to handle stuff like these, but your friends might not be as mature as you and people can get hurt.

Learn a lot first - it's more fun when you really know what you're doing and why. Best of all, learning is free!

When you really know what you're doing and can figure out most stuff for yourself, you can find places here where you (or your parents, more accurately, since you'll need to order with a CCard) can order the parts you need, and you can probably have a very nice little device for under $75.00, that you built yourself.

Just remember that these ARE powerful "toys" and you can permanently hurt yourself or others if you don't know exactly what you're doing. That said, there's a lot of other people on this website that are your age building projects with lasers that amaze and impress me every day.

As for laws - if you keep the thing in your house all the time, you'll be safer. Even where there aren't specific laws about it, people can get nervous, and if the wrong person gets nervous about something they've seen you with, they can make as much trouble AS IF there was a law, so pretend they're illegal and you'll be safer! :)

Welcome to the board. There's a lot of info here, and a lot of wisdom in the members, and most are willing to share - but not spoonfeed you. Learn & have fun!

Dave

hey, welcome to lpf, where in nc are you? i live in nc also and like rhith said most laws are pretty much common sense.
well enjoy your lasers, but for cheap lasers go to dealextreme.com but for quality and customer sevice go to novalasers.com dont get me wrong dx has good quality also but from what ive heard their lasers arent up to spec, but some people have gotten fully spec'ed lasers

I advise You to change the name of therad to something specific.

Thats an order...

LOL welcome
and what they said... Go with DIY, then save money for an X-105

nc527

thank everybody so far and just to be clear wat is the least power laser to light matchs?

If yu use a secondary convex lens (magnifying lens), 70 to 100 mW can I believe, if you blacken the match with a sharpie first.

150 - 200+ will do the job without any sharpie marking.

The homebrew I just made with a diode I bought from one of our own here lights matches in half a second - but better still, it cuts through hard plastic (black), white paper, thin wood... and it's tiny!

Dave

Rhith

You certainly don't need that much power! With my 115mW CNI Pen I can easily light matches without a lens fairly quick and my 30-40mW can light matches quickly with a lens. ;D

xanatos said:
If yu use a secondary convex lens (magnifying lens), 70 to 100 mW can I believe, if you blacken the match with a sharpie first.

150 - 200+ will do the job without any sharpie marking.

The homebrew I just made with a diode I bought from one of our own here lights matches in half a second - but better still, it cuts through hard plastic (black), white paper, thin wood...  and it's tiny!

Dave

magnifying lens= relatively nice sized convex optical magnification lens, spectacle style

nc527

okay and how much will a 'lens' cost me or can i use a magnifing glass?and wats the laws in the us cause i read somthing bout the limit is 5mw?btw this is my current 'highest power laser i have'its a class 3b red and shines 450 yards.also is the true 50mw from dealextreme for 54 dollars good?and is dealextreme in the us or wat?i realy dont want to pay 60 buck for somthing customs stops. anywyas heres my laser

Attachments

• 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    873.4 KB · Views: 923
As for DX, I hear it is better to stay with the 30mW and below, above that it's a gamble.
NOVAlasers guarantee customs will NOT take your laser or they will send you another one.
The 5mW max power limit doesn't really mean anything. It just says you aren't allowed to import a laser above 5mW. But as long as you are safe with it and don't try blasting police helicopters you will be fine. And what power/wavelength is your laser in the picture?

nc527

finaly a replie!!! and i dont real know the power/wavelength of it just that its a IIIb laser and that its fda approved so i assume its under 5mw?and to say again my main pirpose for the laser will be to do stuff like burn matchs and ant[as soon as we get some rain in NC]and to maby light a candle once in a while or just to impress my parents and just a thought how many mw would u need to cut through a tin can?

Hmmm... if it is class 3B it would be above 5mW. Class 3A is <5mW. Can it burn anything?
For burning tricks, you can light matches unaided in a coupe seconds or less with about 100mW. I can light firework fuses with my X105 and a focusing lens. I haven't tried it without a lens yet... Lighting a candle? Just a plain candle wick won't burn unless you have a couple WATTS. 100mW lights matches, burns holes through thin plastics (I burned through a black plastic spoon), burns paper (dark colored or sharpied), pops balloons no problem and can sting skin. To burn through a tin can I think you would need at least 10W (10,000mW) and that means it won't be portable and most likely IR.

I reviewed my X105 here, the video shows most of the burning tricks you can do:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1194984951

nc527

thanks for the help and it doesnt even sting skin or i cant feel any heat from it so wat are u talking bout a lens?like a magnefing glass and is it lik sun?is there a focal point

nc527 said:
thanks for the help and it doesnt even sting skin or i cant feel any heat from it so wat are u talking bout a lens?like a magnefing glass and is it lik sun?is there a focal point

if its red, you wont feel anything. but it will still light and burn darker surfaces... Green is different story though...

ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: