Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me build a laser please

So I want to build a 2w 445nm laser but have no idea where to start.

I have educated myself on laser safety and what shouldn't be done. I just want some expert advice on what diode to use, what laser module to use and what host should I use in order to accomplish a laser power of 1.8-2w. Also if there is anything important i should know before building a laser please tell me.

safety glasses are a must when doing any thing of this magnitude. DTR sells the diode m-140 with the driver start there and then pick a host htat you like and then get some Lithium Ion batts and remember the laser at this power is very dangerous and DO NOT Take them Lightly or you will get hurt or hurt some one else.

Thanks Vortish but I was wondering for a 1.8 amp buck driver with a 445 mm diode how much battery power do I need in volts
So 1 18650 is 3.7v if I use two does the voltage increase to 7.4v? If so how many batteries do I need to run to get the diode driver and switch to work

A buck driver must have its input voltage greater than its output voltage (check the specs of the driver for the exact limitations). Using 2x LiPo batteries should work, as they usually provide 4.2V each (fully charged). A 445nm laser diode usually requires about 4-4.5V if I recall.

Buy the goggles first. Those blue lasers are extremely bright and it is a real pain to try and focus them to a nice beam without goggles on.

@ 2w you will need 2 LiPo's to power it. A single just does not have the correct amount of current to power it at the voltage that it needs. DTR sells Modules in 445 that have a driver already installed on the diode so all you need is a host, heat sink, LiPo's and a lens I would use a three element or a s-1 or g2 lens For a host I would either look at the for sale thread or go to survival lasers and by one from there. But IMO custom host from our few resident makers are the best thing for high powered 445/450's

I Say sit back and read a few threads on laser components, and the basics of lasers etc for a week or two, get a bit of a feel for everything THEN you will only need suggestions from us, ATM we will tell you what you need and it may all sounds like gibbirish to you as there is alot to take in without a basic understanding.
Anyway good Luck with your first build
and Welcome to LPF!

Thank you all for the info, and I've done enough research to understand the basics of what has been said but before I go to build my own I'm going to wait for a little while just to make sure

I would advise against building an expensive laser as your first. There's a very high chance something somewhere will fail and your expensive diode will get destroyed.

Take it slow. These diodes are far cheaper, just as fun to build, and very powerful in their own right:
PHR-803 - 100mW capable 405nm bluray diode, requires 100mA to work.
LPC series red diodes - 250mW capable 650nm reddies. Awesome for starting builds since they're bit more tolerant and robust than most.

Now I must admit I'm a bit out of the loop these days on popular shops, I hope somebody can chime in on where to actually buy those. :eek:

Last edited:
Alright I will wait on the big bad blue laser, cas no one wants to waste money

Yeah.

Both of the diodes I mentioned should cost at around $10 at most, while 445nm diodes capable of 2W or more should be $50 or so.

Suppose you get a bad luck streak and you destroy two diodes until you finally get one laser right.

In case of cheaper red or bluray, that'll set you back $30 (less than one 445nm diode total), and in case of 445nm diode, that'd be $150.

And there's really no way around it, you'll wreck a diode or two sooner or later, we all did :D

For 1.8-2W you have three choices for a blue laser, https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445-m140-didoes or https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/osram-pltb450-1-4w-450nm or the new slightly different shade of blue https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/m462-462nm-laser-diode as stated above the hosts sold at Survival Laser USA Home are very good as well as those made by some forum members. For some examples of the easiest ways to build a laser see the white links in my signature.

Alan