Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help identifying laser pointer - lyte optronics

Hello all, i'm new to the forum seeking your expertise.

I am an ebay seller trying to sell something i found. Its a laser pointer, and i think its a decent one, but i dont know.

I cant find any information online about it. The company was a laser company, but i cant find much information on them besides that they produced lasers.
Lyte Optronics, Inc | CapXG.com

The only markings on the pen are 'LYTE OPTRONICS' and 'Darryl A. Moy', (im guessing the recipient of this gift.

Its got a solid red laser. It runs on 2x AAAA batteries. And it works by pressing the little tab down onto the gold contact on the bottom half of the pointer.

Attached are some pictures of the laser pointer in question. Any information anyone could tell me would be welcome. I will be selling it, and i would like to get a fair price so i wanted to get an opinion.

Sorry if the picture details are small, i had to resize to 800 pixels.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• B.jpg
    B.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 123
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 311
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 158
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 122
  • A.jpg
    A.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 131

Hi jonkliao :wave:

Welcome to the forum. How much are you asking for the laser?
Do you have safety eye wear? Can you see a visible beam in the dark?
If you point it at a black item from several feet away such as a DVD case or CD case does it start smoking or burn a hole in it?

Hello, thank you for the reply, good questions.

I would put it on an auction if i dont get any info at all, and just let it go at whatever it goes at.

it does not have a visible beam in the dark.

It does not burn or smoke black plastic when held there for a while. It does not even heat the material up.

So that sounds like its not a very powerful laser im guessing.

Thank you for your help laser chick.

I was curious cause of the lyte optronics, i thought maybe that was something.

Anyway, its not worth much (<$30, i was hopeful, but im not surprised), i may just keep it. never know when i might need a laser around the house, or if i ever visit a friend with a cat. :)

Thanks anyway.

Correct, just a shot from the hip guess is 3mW to 40mW
It does have a sweet display case though :)

From the picture that dot's got a pretty bright core to it, I'd say closer to 40mW maybe pushing 50 or 60? It's generally very hard to tell from the eye, especially with red. And from a camera. On a computer screen :p

Welcome to the forum, OP. I don't recommend using the pointer with a cat, as it is most likely >5mW :p

I don't believe for a second that laser is more than 5mW. Has anyone here ever seen or even heard of a pointer that runs on two AAAA batteries? That laser is probably 16+ years old unless the company they were sold to kept the brand going for a time.

Alan

I sure have heard of a pointer that runs on two AAAA batteries. My Very, very, very, very, very, very, very first hand held laser is a red 650nm that is powered by 2 AAAA batteries. What a little angel. She is still going strong!!! :angel:

Attachments

• CIMG0963.JPG
    CIMG0963.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 111
  • CIMG0964.JPG
    CIMG0964.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 117
  • CIMG0965.JPG
    CIMG0965.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I don't believe for a second that laser is more than 5mW. Has anyone here ever seen or even heard of a pointer that runs on two AAAA batteries? That laser is probably 16+ years old unless the company they were sold to kept the brand going for a time.

Alan

I have seen these AAAA pointers back when I was in high school, nice and thin host. They were Class IIIA <5mW 650nm, pretty cool at the time since when I was in high school back in the late 90s, 670nm was the general reds that people had, having one of these was noticeably brighter at 650nm.

OVNI

...Its got a solid red laser. It runs on 2x AAAA batteries. ...

Where are you located? There are several people here that would measure the output power for you. Probably the biggest thing people want to know besides the color.

Encap

Found a used one for sale @ $8.50 here: Lyte Optronics Opti K Laser Pointer not sure if it is the same model or not.

Apparently the company was sold in 1999

American Xtal to Buy Lyte
May 28, 1999 | Bloomberg News
American Xtal Technology Inc., a Fremont, Calif.-based maker of semiconductor materials, plans to buy Torrance-based Lyte Optronics Inc. for about $61.3 million in cash.

Last edited:
im located in upstate ny. But i think everyone has helped a lot already. i trust your (plural) expertise, and i think the laser pointer is probably <5 mW like most people think.

i did toy with it a bit more and the front end cap does thread off (though the cap feels like plastic and the threads are almost gone, so i am very careful with it.) Inside there is a little glass lens that has two notches so you can thread it out. underneath is the red laser thingy. When i reinserted the lens i had to adjust the distance until the laser output was a point, otherwise it was a bar, especially at longer distances.

i saw the company was sold in 1999 also, but nothing much else. Anyway, as i mentioned, i am probably going to keep it. never know when a laser pointer might come in handy.

Thanks for everyones help.