Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HELP!!! i need a blue laser

One thing though, violet is well within your price range, and will give a blue dot when shining it onto white paper and some other things because in can cause materials to fluoresce more easily. Violet is by far the coolest color out there, easily the most eye-catching and attention grabbing, and still quite rare (green is getting more and more common, and reds are a dime-a-dozen, of course). Look for the Blu-ray pointers that a lot of people build, the name is a little misleading because it is actually violet colored, near UV but still visible.

Ace82

drool over this real quick http://www.optotronics.com/b-lithium-ion.php. If you want a blue 473nm laser, save up for the RPL. I will be so happy once I have mine! Blu-rays are the way to go if you don't want to spend to much. There's infinite amount of information on this forum if you want to build one yourself and have a basic understanding for electronics and know how to solder. I'm sure everyone here will be more then happy to help you. Anyway, if your a true laser fanatic, then you really need help! :p Your going to need a high powered red burning laser, a low powered and high powered green, a blu-ray, then a blue. And if your completely consumed by this hobby :p, then yellow too!

I always say, a good hobby is an expensive one. Just be very cautious and spend some time reading through the Safety section of the forum.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... If your getting a laser in attempts to attract a girl, try Wicked Lasers. ;D j/k

Amnizu

As great as RPLs are, I'm very very happy with my 5mW Aquarius from LaserGlow. I'd recommend them for anyone who wants a blue and is on a budget. Though, why are you looking for a blue if you're on a budget? The two simply aren't compatible.

Entity

Hey Amnizu, I was just about to ask if you got it yet. Might want to update your sig ;)

Curiously_Coherent said:
There really is no such thing as a "cheap" blue laser. They are rare and expensive, but these are two good quality products backed by companies with good reputations in the marketplace. Buy one on eBay and you'll likely get burned.

Portable blues aren't for sale on ebay anyway.

Switch said:
It actually looks dimmer that green to the human eye.

except when adjusted to darkness.

Razako

There are a couple of things that make blue lasers cool other than the fact that they are very uncommon. Blue lasers can cause a fluorescence effect on a lot of objects like a blu-ray can. Also they can charge glow in the dark materials. Additionally blues look MUCH brighter to your eyes once they adjust to the dark. I think that your eyes are a lot more sensitive to blue than other colors in a dark area for some reason.

Switch

That's because of the scotopic vision where (according to a graph I saw) the visibility parabola(that peaks at 555nm in photopic mode) moves backwards 50 or so nm on the wavelength axis , making 473nm closer to the peak(peak at 505nm I think :-/).

i found a 2mw blue as a sample from anewstone for 298$ + 100$ shipping/sample fee :D

^^The Buy, Sell, and Trade on this forum would be your best source. I know the pointers that Milos sells are very popular.

yes they are!! i just got mine from his #3 batch. It has a bright baby blue dot on white paper and a violet dot on others, orange turns it pink! Kinda messes with your eyes, as that they cant see wavelength very well, it had me rubbing my eyes and blinking alot because the beam looked blury...it was just me. When i focus it into a small dot it can smoke dark foam, i tried to light a match but it only smoked. i couldnt believe it! its only 12mw!! get one. very good price! PM him.

Razako said:
Additionally blues look MUCH brighter to your eyes once they adjust to the dark. I think that your eyes are a lot more sensitive to blue than other colors in a dark area for some reason.
What switch said:

Scotopic (night) vision peaks at ~506nm, photopic vision peaks at ~555nm