Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HELP! Halfway through modding

Hi all im very new to laser pointers and i watched a lot of youtube videos and now im trying to mod my laser pointer.

i have already removed the cap of the laser pointer after some wrenching, but now i face a problem. After removing the cap, i see the lens on one side, and the diode on the other. How do i get the diode out? The diode seems connected to the lens?

HELP PLS!

P.S if it helps, i have no idea what laser pointer im holding. This laser pointer runs on 2x AA batteries and i have no idea how many mW this pointer is.

its only been 19 minutes since you started this thread, just be patient.

to you question you should not have bothered trying to mod it based on some youtube video, im assuming your laser is some crap pen off ebay, they rarely like being modded and 99% of modded pens die very shortly after.

do yourself a favour and invest some money on a quality laser from a reputable company, as well as some decent safety goggles, if you dont think you want to spend 50 bucks minimum on a laser then just keep the ebay laser as is.

Last edited:
hello, thanks for your kind advice however my country forbids me to get a laser pointer more than 5mW therefore i have to mod a cheap laser myself. Alternatively can recommend me a way to bypass my customs? :)

haha nope i do not stay in the states.. I live in singapore. I have to come here for advice as this forum is the biggest and most active laser pointer forum in the world :)

Then probably your best option is to learn how to build your own laser and order all the parts separate so they get through customs and put it together yourself. I know this isn't a good option for everyone but its one possibility to consider.

you can get lasers past customs easy, been discussed many time before. US has a 5mW limit as well but look at all of our signatures....not many 5mW lasers there :p

hmm ok but im actually thinking what might happen if my shipment got stopped by the customs. im ok with them throwing my laser away but will they call me to warn me or will i be involved in legal issues

I've had lasers confiscated by customs before, I got a nice letter from customs saying that it was an illegal item that I had imported, basically it said that there were no consequences for what I had imported but if I wanted to get the laser off customs that I would have to file a claim and take the matter to court, which is a complete waste of time.

Basically in my case I got a warning letter saying that I shouldn't do it again ;) I've since purchased more lasers :beer:

Also bear in mind that I live in Australia and your customs may not be the same as ours here down under :)

Last edited: