Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello!

Sup guys. Always been pretty interested in lasers but I'm just now acquiring the means to actually buy them. Been lurking for a few days but now I have some questions so I registered. So... yea, thanks guys!

anselm

Hello and welcome to the forum!:wave:

Be safe, because lasers are potentially very dangerous, so care must always be taken.
Befriend the search box on top of the page, almost every question you might have for now
has already been answered somewhere by someone.:)

jakeGT

And by care and safety, Anselm means laser goggles! They are relatively inexpensive , especially for yo eyes! Those are priceless!

anselm

I didn't mean goggles specifically, as I believe goggles are more of a last resort safeguard.
You should always use the laser in such a way that you wouldn't need goggles in the first place.

Goggles are important because accidents do happen.

But if you just rely on the goggles, you have misunderstood laser safety.;)

Kevlar

Welcome to LPF!!!

Look around and use the “Search” function, it is very helpful if you’re looking for some specific information. If you don’t find what you want the first time, try different “key words”.

A good place to start is here, the “Rules & Stickies” section, pay special attention to the “Stickies”: Rules & Stickies

If you’re looking for information on how to build a laser check out the links in my sig.

Enjoy your stay!! You will find this a great community with lot of very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful people. :beer:

jakeGT

Okay, well what I did mean is goggles. Even if ur safe, get goggles, your exactly right Anselm, u can be the safest, most cautious person with your laser I'n the world, but accidents can and will happen

Are goggles really necessary for a 100mw green laser? I ordered one from Rayfoss a few days ago. I've red a bit about IR but as long as I don't point it near my face (or anyone elses) or at anything reflective shouldn't I be ok?

Last edited:

jakeGT

Yes they are necessary.
As Anselm said, what is more important is that you practice and be even safer so that goggles aren't your fail safe plan. Be careful with lasers, be safe.

mod101

Are goggles really necessary for a 100mw green laser? I ordered one from Rayfoss a few days ago. I've red a bit about IR but as long as I don't point it near my face (or anyone elses) or at anything reflective shouldn't I be ok?

Just because you don't try to point it at your or other people's face accidents do happen, even to the best of us. Better to protect your eyes than to risk loosing them. Anyways if you want to do any burning googles are pretty much require because when you get your face that close to the laser it could very easily do some damage.