Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello!

Hello everybody,

I've been lurking these forums for the past couple weeks in hopes of building my first laser. :yh: I bought 2 5mw lasers on ebay just a week ago and experimented with it. I'm a former computer engineering student from UOP (2 years). I left to pursue a different career in the medical field. So i know basic circuitry, soldering and such.

My friend actually got me interested in lasers so I decided to buy some, but my hunger for a more powerful laser has led me here. There is a ton of information I have read through and I hope to use that knowledge to build my first laser. Esp DIY kits from Jayrob, DTR and Mohrenberg. I hope to do business with you guys soon!

Hello Jufran88. Be welcome to LPF, have a happy lasing! :)
Start by reading the Rules and stickies. If you are not new to forums, it should be easy to follow they ;)

The kits from Jayrob are expensive - but from what I've heard they are the best. Mohrenberg are more cheap and have no issues as I heard. Dunno DTR was making kits :thinking:

You know what you need for your first laser? ;)

Welcome to LPF.

Please remember to take eye saftey precautions seriously when dealing with the higher powered lasers you mentioned. You only have 1 set of eyes & it's easier to blind them than you might think :cool:

Thank you guys for the warm welcome! :thanks:
Hello Jufran88. Be welcome to LPF, have a happy lasing! :)
Start by reading the Rules and stickies. If you are not new to forums, it should be easy to follow they ;)

The kits from Jayrob are expensive - but from what I've heard they are the best. Mohrenberg are more cheap and have no issues as I heard. Dunno DTR was making kits :thinking:

You know what you need for your first laser? ;)
I think it got the basics of it down:
1. host + heatsink + micro flexdrive v5 (thinking about the 3405 or solarforce kit from jayrob, but mohrenbergs are also quite tempting)
2. diode + module (DTR offers this pressed with leads)
3. probably some thermal paste

Any other suggestions? :undecided:

Welcome to LPF.

Please remember to take eye saftey precautions seriously when dealing with the higher powered lasers you mentioned. You only have 1 set of eyes & it's easier to blind them than you might think :cool:
Yes, thank you very much. I plan on buying these. I don't want to go blind:scared:

@Jufran88
uuh.. bad idea getting 445 as your first laser.. VERY BAD IDEA.. :(
your listing is good; but you shouldn't get that 445 for first laser. Get a dvd burner, aixiz module and DDL driver (search it) and get a 200mW red laser.. move slowly to PHR (405nm blu-ray) and then 445. It is a build for veterans. I don't recommend it at any occasion. don't want the newbies to went blind or something, class IV is dangerous!!

Thank you note taken. I will be careful and I plan on buying my safety googles first and browsing around the forum for a while more before I undertake such a dangerous build. :beer:

:beer: you make a good choice. Just don't get crappy goggles.
I recommend starting with a blu-ray if you like blue things. It is not really blue, but is very closer. A red laser is easier to get if you have a DVD burner. Feel free to pm me!