Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello

btstarcher

I've been interested in lasers since I saw Real Genius at the theater. Back then it was more of a casual interest; later on, in high school, it grew into something more. That's when I assembled my first laser, a simple He-Ne laser; I think I purchased the parts from Meridith Instruments or Information Unlimited. Back then, semiconductor lasers were only an idea. Later on, I remember seeing laser pointers at retail stores, and I was a bit surprised; I never thought they would catch on like they did. Of course I bought one to torment my roommate's dog and his girlfriend's cat. Good times. Over the years, efficiency and power output has increased; I never thought we could achieve these kinds of power levels from a simple little diode. So now I'm looking for one. I'd like to build my own 7W laser pointer, either from a kit or preferably from various parts. I have lots of reading to do, but I've always found forums like this to be the best sources of information.

Oh, yeah, I'm Ben, and I live in Arkansas. I don't really fit in here. 😂

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum! Nice, I had forgotten about Information Unlimited, I got a Telsa Coil Kit from them many years ago. :D

btstarcher

Yeah I had one of those as well, a flyback transformer from a tube TV. I even bought plans for the ruby laser, but didn't have the resources to build it.

WELCOME
7W.. ??
SAYING 'be careful' is a huge understatement.
I am sure you will get many posts.
please take advice in the spirit we intend.
hak

Welcome to the LPF, Ben. You might be better off trying a 1 to 2 watt 445nm blue laser first as the divergence of the 7 watt blues is horrid unless you use cylindrical lens pairs to beam expand one axis.

You should know this:

7W in a handheld has not been around very long.
If someone else did harm with this YOU would be also guilty of some kind of crime-- I would keep it locked up when not in use and store the batteries elsewhere.

Children will, EVERY time point such devices directly into their eyes-w/ 7W this is instant injury or blindness. The maker would be in the lawsuit--as partly responsible for what happened with what they made. MORE care is needed for this laser than any gun. To some it looks like a fancy flashlight and thus NOT taken seriously enough. Even adults are at risk-- if they do not know how powerful that laser can be and how quickly someone can be injured.

'GO big or GO home does not work with lasers.
WE are not impressed.
It only shows a lack of understanding about lasers.
No offence meant.. but members here will not be OKAY by your choice as a first (or nearly first) build.. and more likely be worried about your safety.

I highly suggest that you spend some HOURS reading here:
laserpointersafety.com

I go there very often as new things are being added almost every day-- including injures, mug shots, sentences and arrests . LPS.com is ran by a friend and past president of ILDA.
Patrick is a true expert.

hak in TEXAS