Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello, now it's lasers I guess

Rivem

Welcome Jon. You're already on track to be on the good side of the forum vets.

If I might ask, what all do you do with cars that you want to build your own alignment system for?

Edit: Also, try the multiquote feature so that you can avoid double posting which is frowned upon.

Last edited:

Welcome Jon. You're already on track to be on the good side of the forum vets.

If I might ask, what all do you do with cars that you want to build your own alignment system for?

Thanks for that, I was honestly worried that I would be perceived as the guy that waltzed in to someone else's living room and propped my muddy boots on their coffee table.

I'm more of a suspension guy than an engine guy. The cars I'm working on all have modified suspension and factory specs are all you'll get out of an alignment shop. Also when I start really going deep on modifications I need to verify as I build to ensure everything is correct all through the process.

My latest project isn't super exciting, it's just a '69 Ford pick up I lowered with custom I beams, but something isn't working out as it should and since the geometry is determined by the beams, I need to really be fussy about the measurements I take before I start cutting things up so I'll put these lasers to work right away.

Welcome to the LPF, Jon Richard. In the powers you are working with, these modules, or lasers, can be had very inexpensively. You can find better deals for 532nm green lasers, 650nm red lasers and 445nm to 450nm blue lasers on eBay and they can be powered by Li-ion rechargeable batteries for long periods of time. There are many very knowledgeable people here who are willing to help you any way they can. Since you have an idea what you want to do, I'll be happy to help in any way that I can. Enjoy your stay here and I hope you are able to learn something in the process.

There are many very knowledgeable people here who are willing to help you any way they can. Since you have an idea what you want to do, I'll be happy to help in any way that I can. Enjoy your stay here and I hope you are able to learn something in the process.

Thank you so much. Even though at the moment lasers are a means to an end for me I'm very much hoping to learn something new as well.

Hey welcome. Interesting project.
Take a look at the hardware section links
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/laser-cnc-engraving

I'll check it out, thanks for the advice and warm welcome!

Oh no, they're on to me 😳

Thanks Rich, I can see folks have a good thing going on here. Did you machine those yourself because we can talk about my Clausing also 😆😉

Hi Jon,
Yes theres no getting over here with these guys there like the Rat patrol , just kidding.. I did machine those thats my sales thread thanks ..

Rich:)

Hi Jon,
Yes theres no getting over here with these guys there like the Rat patrol , just kidding.. I did machine those thats my sales thread thanks ..

Rat Patrol! loved that show

killer work, I have a Clausing 8520 mill that the table is in pieces getting rebuilt, a (don't laugh, it's come in very handy) Sherline lathe, and a A2C CNC monster mill I put stepper motors on that I'll maybe make a laser engraver out of. Tell me you have something drool worthy like a Monarch or Hardinge :drool:

In truth, very few of my belongings are together and operational :wtf::thinking::cryyy:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Tell me you have something drool worthy like a Monarch or Hardinge :drool:

In truth, very few of my belongings are together and operational :wtf::thinking::cryyy:

Oh yeah, the Hardinge is my dream lathe, I play with one at work, but would love to have one at home; aI think the HLV-H-EM is model I want! :cool:

BTW - Loved Rat Patrol too, I haven't heard name in years.

Last edited:
Before you plunk down your hard earned $$$
on a laser of your choice you can always ask
us what we think...

BTW... I know that you are new here and saw
that twice you Double Posted. It is considered
bad Forum etiquette and is frowned upon..
You can easily use the [EDIT] button at the
bottom right of any of your posts to edit or
add to any of your post...:beer:

Jerry

Last edited:
BTW... I know that you are new here and saw
that twice you Double Posted. It is considered
bad Forum etiquette and is frowned upon..
You can easily use the [EDIT] button at the
bottom right of any of your posts to edit or
add to any of your post...:beer:
Sorry about that everybody, I've gone back and merged my posts and deleted the doubles.

Before you plunk down your hard earned $$$
on a laser of your choice you can always ask
us what we think...

Jerry
So this should give you a chuckle. In my haste I purchased this off Amazon-

https://www.amazon.com/INFINITER-ML-200G-Generator-Operating-temperature/dp/B01533FCSS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505055232&sr=8-2&keywords=infiniter+ML-200g

In hindsight I believe it's over priced and under powered, plus I would prefer a cross rather than a line. It should arrive today and is likely getting returned.

I think this would be a better choice-

https://www.amazon.com/Power-520nm-Adjusted-Module-12x45mm/dp/B07174LTBY/ref=sr_1_88?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1505056854&sr=1-88&keywords=sunshine-electronics+laser+cross+module

So thank you Jerry, I'd very much like to know what you think. The unit will be approximately 12" from the surface (ground) I want to project to and I'll likely be outside during the day in many instances.

It's been a long time since I did alignments, we had an ancient Hunter light a line rack but it wasn't laser, that and the handy broomstick, I remember the Cadillacs with the adjustable ball joints.

Anyway being a big fan of reverse engineering I looked at what's available and found this, it uses the 5mw orange-red diode lasers, eye safety is also a concern so maybe if you want green you should keep it down to 5mw or slightly more at your own risk.

Here's the link >>> https://www.autobodytoolmart.com//t...m_term=1100001935771&utm_content=All Products

Hi,
Jon,
I hate to tell you i told you so, gave fair warning no getting over on these guys. You did well about the double posting Jerry will be pleased .. Before you buy ask the guys here there honest in there opinions ,this way you won't have to return it and wait 3 to 4 weeks if its overseas. Sounds like you have some machines awesome ..

Anyway being a big fan of reverse engineering I looked at what's available and found this, it uses the 5mw orange-red diode lasers, eye safety is also a concern so maybe if you want green you should keep it down to 5mw or slightly more at your own risk.

Here's the link >>> https://www.autobodytoolmart.com//t...m_term=1100001935771&utm_content=All Products

I love that system, but at $4,300 not so much the price. I have this (link below) and aim to affix a laser to it, with a second laser (or even a string :p) as the reference mark-

Longacre Digital Caster Camber Gauge 78290

By the way, as a welder my eyes are my livelihood so to the folks who've spoke of proper eye protection thank you- I take it very seriously.

Before you buy ask the guys here there honest in there opinions ,this way you won't have to return it and wait 3 to 4 weeks if its overseas. Sounds like you have some machines awesome ..

Yeah, buying that one off Amazon was a knee jerk reaction before I found LPF or really tried to do any reading.
Hi,
Jon,
I hate to tell you i told you so, gave fair warning no getting over on these guys. You did well about the double posting Jerry will be pleased ..

You know I'm now really regretting my being over eager. I think I've become overwhelmed with half finished projects and it compelled me to rush in here and just ask away, but my full plate is not the problem of the members, folks who obviously want to help and for me to succeed.

This forum is well established and stalked with people who can bring the tech. It's apparent that a little more effort on my part will get me there with more searching thanks to the years of topics compiled long before I got here. The questions I should be asking in this thread are what are you doing with lasers and what got you started?

Sorry, I really do want to get to know you folks and maybe eventually have something to contribute of my own. Other new members reading- learn from my error.

Reactions: GSS
Don't buy on Amazon. They are always overpriced. You can build an alignment device for the price of a cheap laser, which is all the others use, and maybe some machined parts. If you know what you are doing, and it looks like for cars you do, build it yourself. It will work as well if not better and cost far less than hundreds of $.

So this should give you a chuckle. In my haste I purchased this off Amazon-

https://www.amazon.com/INFINITER-ML...=1505055232&sr=8-2&keywords=infiniter+ML-200g

In hindsight I believe it's over priced and under powered, plus I would prefer a cross rather than a line. It should arrive today and is likely getting returned.

I think this would be a better choice-

https://www.amazon.com/Power-520nm-...words=sunshine-electronics+laser+cross+module

So thank you Jerry, I'd very much like to know what you think. The unit will be approximately 12" from the surface (ground) I want to project to and I'll likely be outside during the day in many instances.
Yeah... a little overpriced for what you want..
Perhaps you can return it to Amazon for a refund
and use the $$$ to get what you need for your
project..

The 2nd choice is what I was thinking of... but not
at that price on Amazon... eBay will have better
prices...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/515nm-520nm-90mW-Cross-Green-Laser-Module-High-Stability-Adjustable-Light-Spot-/263069468346?hash=item3d402986ba:g:7IoAAOSwq1JZECT1

or a 100mW 532nm laser module...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10mw-30mw-50mw-100mw-150-200mw-532nm-Green-Dot-Line-Cross-Laser-Module-/132019139899?var=&hash=item1ebcf4353b:m:mk2JPgy8j_QJ6LZJw-4hgbg

BTW... I see it was easy to edit/merge Posts..;)

Jerry

Last edited: