Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello - New Member From Portland, OR

phosphoressential

Hellooooooo all you pointers of lasers!

phosphoressential here, hailing from the crisp morning dew of the Pacific Northwest.

I'm an opto-mechanical engineer for a company in the semiconductor industry. My small satellite office specializes in optics and lasers. In the back lab we have a van sized tool that uses four 2 joule lasers to melt very thin layers of silicon. Peak tool optical power ~1.2GW, yes thats billion with a b. Here's a photo i took of one of the four lasers focused down to ionize the air as a party trick. You can see the plasma ball in the center of the shot.

IMG_3450.jpg

I'm lucky to work with some really cool tools but to be honest my background in optics is pretty limited. Always learning!

At home I have some laser projectors (many consumer, and one dual axis RGB), some dime-store pointers, and I'm working on a rainbow of serious pointers. Waiting on some new dimmable Sanwu sabers from black friday :p once the last two come, the spread will be:

405nm - 1.6W Sanwu dimmable
450nm - 5W Thor+ series unbranded
470nm - 5W Sanwu dimmable
492nm - 100mw Sanwu pocket series
520nm - 1.2W Sanwu dimmable
638nm - 1.5W Sanwu dimmable G84

Really looking forward to the Dragon Lasers 589 nm.

I have a 3D printer and am interested in creating 3D art with gears, electronics, light, lasers, and optical illusions. I love to design in CAD space.

Stay safe. Have fun. Let's all have a good discussion out there on the field. This post was made possible by the relentless sarcasm of a one hakzaw1 ;) Cheers mate!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, phosphoressential! :)

That's a very good welcome post, much appreciated.
You should fit right in here with your background, and your own growing collection of handhelds.
Glad to see that you started your collection with lasers from a reputable company like Sanwu. Both Sanwu and Jetlasers are considered to be about the best companies to buy from by many members here.

Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy your stay! (y)

PS - Pics are always welcome here, especially ones of cool stuff that we don't see everyday.
BTW, can you get that 1.2GW laser in a handheld? :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Hi, welcome to LPF here are a bunch of Wonderfull folks that can help. But there is also a search field with an abundance of info. So take your time and look around have fun be safe always.

Rich:)

Welcome to the LPF. My daughter was born in a Portland hospital, though I was living in Vancouver at the time. You are already well on your way to having a very nice collection of pointers. With your background and interest, you should fit in well around here. :)

I have no regrets.. its a fine intro.. I will be showing it to others ..
Portland is loaded with some of our most awesome members..
Putting Portland in your title paid off.. Going up that way is on my bucket list.
You should be hearing from some members.. I met a bunch at the 5 SELEMs I attended.
Dr Lava-- Platinum-sugeek-10fenny-Pyro (Jeff K) and more that I know via the forums.
SO along with you.. That is more than enough to do a LEM.(of your own) AFAIK these is at least one NWLEM each year.. by Jonathon (Platinum)

anyone can 'host' a LEM.. (two laser fanatics and one laser= 'bona fide' (pop-up) LEM.

SELEM 2019 will be the 13th one..(Mid Aug. in Newton N.C.) it has GROWN to nearly 5 days. and STILL some leave SELEM saying.. 'I wish it lasted longer'--First timers not already deep in laser addiction say "SELEM was a life-changer for me" --- And I get this a LOT.. 'aha ..now I see why hak is so crazy about LEMs'.

WELCOME to the MADHOUSE..