Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello - laser harp hopeful

Hello all, I'm new to these forums. I just bought this laser pointer off of amazon. I've been fascinated with laser harps for over 20 years now and decided I was going to try to build my own, so I bought that cheap and simple pointer to start experimenting with. I know it's going to be a long process, but I love learning, especially nerdy and geeky things, so I'm excited. :drool: I'm hoping that you guys can help me along the way. This looks like a very interesting board! :beer:

hey welcome to forum!

i have been toying around with the idea of making a laser harp for some time now. the pointer you bought off amazon is a nice little pointer but thats about all its good for. you wont be able to leave this on for long periods of time unless you rip it apart and put it in a larger heat sink.

heres a nice video showing the insides of a nice laser harp YouTube - Laser Harp Mk II Construction Part 1

Ooh, nice video, thanks. I know Stephen Hobley, but I hadn't seen those...

Yeah, I just want to use it to experiment (the laser pointer), but I know that "as is" it won't do me much good. I was hoping to get some good advice on how to take it apart and drive it effectively...

anselm

Over at the Photonlexicon there are two or three excellent threads on laserharps.
Basically you have two kinds, the one with a closed frame, and the one where
the beams just keep going.

Obviously the framed one is much simpler and you can use a bunch of laser modules
and light sensors easily to trigger a MIDI signal when the beam is interrupted.

The open frame kind is much more involved, you have to acurately catch the reflecting
light off your hands when you play a note. Also these usually employ a laser projector
with scanning mirrors. That's how you get that effect you can see in Jean-Michel Jarrre
concerts, when the harp starts up as one beam, which then splits into several.

I did register there, thank you. I found some very interesting information. I will probably start with a Theremin, and go from there...

Hello,
Just introducing myself. I'm new to your forum and am very interested and curious about lasers. In another life, I owned a pinball, jukebox business with my father and have always enjoyed assembling and disassembling things! Thought a DIY laser project would be enlightening and enjoyable. I appreciate your patience with me! Best to you all!!
George

It says 'class III' on it. But I can't find class III, it's IIIa, etc... Power is less than 100 mW. What kind of precautions should I take? Should I be weary of reflections on curved metallic objects for example? Anything that could reflect the beam without 'dispersing' it first? (Sorry for the lack of vocabulary, English is not my first language...) What about simply looking at the spot on the wall? That thing is bright!!

hey welcome to forum!

i have been toying around with the idea of making a laser harp for some time now. the pointer you bought off amazon is a nice little pointer but thats about all its good for. you wont be able to leave this on for long periods of time unless you rip it apart and put it in a larger heat sink.

heres a nice video showing the insides of a nice laser harp YouTube - Laser Harp Mk II Construction Part 1

LaZeRz

Well you probably should get goggles cause you can't really out a price on your vision can you? Btw I don't even know what a laser harp is

Lol I'm new here too mate but I have learnt a quite a bit because of all the kind friendly people here

it cannot hurt to have some laser shades (better to be safe than sorry) especially if you plan on upgrading to more power...and lets face it who doesnt want to do that ;-)

as for safety precautions, you want to be careful with any laser you use because they all can cause eye damage if used improperly. as far as safety for shining it on reflective things im not sure what kind of precautions you could take other than putting on laser shades. if you really want to know about safety hit up the safety section of the forum (http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/) theres TONS of info in there