Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Hello I want to get into lasering and want a good laser

Sir_Dumpling

I really like lasers and want to get into it as a hobby.
where would be the best place to get a blue 1w laser?
and if it would be better how can I build a laser?

P.S I want to be a potential pilot one day so I know how dangerous it is to point a laser at a plane and your vision balls

Wakrah

Lots of places, Sanwu, of course. My favorite mass production seller is jetlasers.org for a quality pointer.

Build your own using parts from DTR LPF, find his store online searching under those. Members can also machine a host for you to put his plug and play parts into.

RA_pierce

If you're interested in lasers as a hobby, I suggest building one yourself.
If you have access to some basic tools including a soldering station and a multimeter, you can make anything you want.

My advice is to start with something safer than a high power blue. Speaking from experience, you will get much more enjoyment from something that 1) you built yourself and 2) won't pose a health hazard to any vision-dependent animals within a 1 mile radius.
A low power (5-50 mW) 485 nm diode (a nice cyan color) will surely impress you and your friends - even more so if you built it yourself.

Unfortunately, there aren't so many DIYers these days because there are so many places to buy pre-made pointers which has led to some atrophy on this forum.
Take a look at the tutorial I have linked in my signature below to get a sense of what is required to put your own simple laser together.

Sir_Dumpling

Hi I am going to build my own violet laser. I purchased a 900mw laser from DTR lasers with a G2 lens and a full body hollow module. I got a C6 host and a driver with a output of about 520mA from survival lasers. I hope I got everything and if I made any mistakes if you could tell me and how to fix them. Also what batteries should I use? Thank you if all goes well with this laser I will build a cyan laser.

Encap

BIg mistake so far, no laser safety glasses/goggles.
You said nothing about laser safety glasses/goggles which are a must have if you value your eyesight.
If you want to learn about laser safety and safe use see: https://www.laserpointersafety.com/

900mW of 405nm is very dangerous and not particualy visible.
445nm is about 10X brighter visually and 532nm green about 10X brighter than 445nm so...
405nm is only about 1% as bright visually a 532nm green.

Do yourself a favor ---before you take a chance of permanently damaging your eyes and/or blinding yourself during playtime with lasers buy an Eagle Pair of laser safety glasses/goggle from Survival laser https://www.survivallaserusa.com/Safety_Goggles/cat1667093_1527285.aspx

Last edited:

Sir_Dumpling

Yes I don't want to go blind and I will get some laser glasses from survival lasers. Thanks for letting me know. I promise I won't go using m to laser with out safety goggles.