Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Washington State, USA

jon_89

Maybe I am missing something but what is the difference between a laser module form aixiz laser and a laser diode? I am still going through all the forums here so please bear with me.

jon_89 said:
Maybe I am missing something but what is the difference between a laser module form aixiz laser and a laser diode?  I am still going through all the forums here so please bear with me.
A laser diode speaks for itself, thats the actual laser. The aixiz module is just a collimating lens assembly which comes with a weak 5mW diode and we replace with a high power diode.

jon_89

So would a 780nm 80mw be a good first module. I understand the mw part but I dont fully understand the nm. I do appreciate all the help. ;D

jon_89 said:
So would a 780nm 80mw be a good first module.  I understand the mw part but I dont fully understand the nm.  I do appreciate all the help. ;D
780nM is Near IR, so it will be almost invisible. A good first laser would be a red burning laser, or a burning blu-ray laser. Check out the link in my Signature. It has all you need to know :)

jon_89

So all I would need is Sony Diode Pre-Installed In Aixiz Module, "Fusion" drive KIT, batteries and something to put it in. If this is all I need will it be a burner and will I be able to see the beam?

if you get the sony diode to about 200mw power (about 300ma) you can see the beam at night from behind, or in fog in evening/night, ect. its not visible at daytime at all, it needs something dense in the air. its still will make a fun laser.

also, do you have a multimeter that can measure amps or milliamps? it would be useful in testing the power to the diode so it won't burn out and will give you an estimate of light output.

if you don't have a multimeter, you can go the safe way and buy a preset driver (non adjustable)

I'm still learning too. just lucky to have a couple tools needed on hand

sad_sagi said:
if you get the sony diode to about 200mw power (about 300ma) you can see the beam at night from behind, or in fog in evening/night, ect. its not visible at daytime at all, it needs something dense in the air. its still will make a fun laser.

also, do you have a multimeter that can measure amps or milliamps? it would be useful in testing the power to the diode so it won't burn out and will give you an estimate of light output.

if you don't have a multimeter, you can go the safe way and buy a preset driver (non adjustable)

I'm still learning too. just lucky to have a couple tools needed on hand
Dr. Lava and Rckstr preset drivers if you ask them too.

jon_89

What is the max milliamps for the sony diode. Yes I "had" a multimeter until it fried when..... :-[

jon_89 said:
What is the max milliamps for the sony diode.  Yes I "had" a multimeter until it fried when..... :-[
For a Senkat diode, it will work great at 350mA, 400mA max.
For any other diode, 300mA is fine.

does anyone know the laws about owning, making, buying, and selling high powered lasers in washington?

laserlover said:
does anyone know the laws about owning, making, buying, and selling high powered lasers in washington?
from what I can see, the laser laws really aren't gonna matter where you live, anywhere in the US it's gonna be the same...

daguin

laserlover said:
[quote author=HumanSymphony link=1213910964/140#156 date=1221709547]incorrect. laser laws differ from state to state.

thats what i thought so i searched online and i couldn't find the laws in washington state[/quote]

To make it even more confusing, they may be "county ordinances" rather than state laws. Of course that keeps you out of "the big house" ;)

The truth is, that there may be no "local" laws related to lasers directly. The local constable may use the broad definitions of something like "hazardous device" or "intent to inflict grievous bodily harm" to get what he/she wants.

Peace,
dave