Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

hello from the quite corner of CT

ionize

hi y'all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Eric, I reside in N. East Connecticut. I'm also a saltwater aquarist and can be found on a few other forums as icycoral. I've had an affinity with lasers and all things science ever since I was a little guy. My laser bug has recently been let out with the find of my trade-school electronics tool kit and parts kits. I've played around with a few circuits and diodes and am looking to turn my curiosities into a full blown hobby.
However before I go any further with my affinity for laser devices I need to acquire some eye protection. I've been routing through the forum quite a bit and read the complete thread on the person who damaged their retina with a 1w 445nm laser which it fell during a laser effect experiment, a very real reminder of what these devices are capable of. The first laser-lasers I am interested in are going to be 405nm and 445nm <100mw and <1000mw respectively. I have seen a couple pairs of goggles/glasses in the forums but I saw these linked in a thread and they caught my attention

Amazon.com: Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear, Black Frame, SCT-Orange UV Extreme Anti-Fog Lens: Home Improvement

I found the spec sheet on these and am not sure if I'm interpreting it wrong. will these be effective for devices in those spectrum's at outputs <2W? They just seem a little too inexpensive..
not trying to waste the vets time w nonsense questions just asking for a push in the right direction. Thank you all!

Howdy Eric and Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Your off on the right foot thinking about the safety of your eyes
way to go :gj:

The $8.00 glasses you are looking at I would be suspect of but the only way to know for sure would be to get them and use a laser and your LPM and give em a test. it would be very cool if they worked just fine :)

Have fun and be Safe ;)

Last edited:
welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and this....

37 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

I would shy away from those Glasses you linked
to unless you just need them for a day at the beach.

They are stated as being for Low Light Applications...
Gereral Purpose Sunglass protection and Primary Eye
Protection UNDER Welding Helmets

Nowhere is the phrase Laser Protection used... and there
is no mention of the optical damage threshhold of those
glasses...

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

ionize

Thank you for the warm welcomes! Those suggested threads were among the first few that I read along with a good chunk of the stickies (still working on them). And I luv tech junkies vid! Always thought kip was a fool and appears reckless. I do have a couple of laser devices I've had for years(405nm<150mW) and will not be powering them up until I get some get some proper protection for my eyes. especially not after reading the thread on the persons experience with a 1W laser that damage their retina. I do not wish to explain to my kids that I learned about eye saftey the hard way. Thank you for the feed back on the glasses I was looking at. I figured at that price the chances of them being used as laser projection would be slim to none but always worth asking. Thank you for the info on the gb, I will check that out in depth at lunchtime.

Can anybody recommend any good threads on eye protection, or where I can find information. I'm sure over time on the board I would pick it up, but I would like to research it. More info = better decisions
Again many thanks!

ionize

Look at T_J's second link in his Post above...

Jerry

Nice, don't know how I over looked that. I also just stumbled into the saftety forum :) lots of good stuff on here just need more hours in the day to read it all.

Last edited:

ionize

I got these a litte bit ago but figured I would post a pic and say thank you for pointing me in the right direction with the gb on the safety goggles.

e568d058.jpg

Last edited: