Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Sydney Australia

vk2fro

Gday

My names Ben, and I just joined the forums recently.

My first post was when I was looking for a gas laser, in the gas laser section. I've only gone one laser so far - a 150mw labbie (pointers are illegal here now and I didnt want to risk it).

The labbie is heavily modified to run of an RC car battery (5V regulator, meridith instruments driver for the pump, and other circuitry to run the TEC). Its still a labby, but goes for ages on the battery, and saves me the bother of finding an outlet to plug it in. It also means I can take it to friends places and show them. The 7,2volt battery velcros to the side and plugs into the back. When I do want to use mains power, an AC adapter is employed. Its a very versatile little laser.

I first got into laser way back when I was a 13 year old when I discovered the local company Oatley Electronics. They had lasers ranging from red diodes and HeNe's to today where they have red diodes and green ones (no more gassers).

Around my 16th birthday I was wondering what laser to get next and had a look on their site and found an NEC Argon. After asking mum, I handed her the funds and she handed me the credit card so I could order it over the phone. Days passed, that seemed like weeks, and I had an argon with no power supply. A few hundred dollars later and I'd built up Sams SG-IL1 and had an awesome laser that I took to melbourne with me when I moved, and did light shows with. I also operated it in launceston before the move.

My hobbies apart from playing with photon shooters are ham radio, electronics, computers, RC models (cars and choppers), photography and jet engines.

In my history I have owned lasers ranging from hene's with home built supplies, same with "brick" supplies, many a diode, and an argon.

I came here because I want to get back into the hobby, and have received a warm welcome. Next week when I get the rest of the funds together my first purchase will be a Kenometer Lite, and just before christmas I am treating myself with an argon from a local supplier (YES I finally found one).

After christmas (provided mariomaster still wants to sell it) I'll be buying one of his multiline argons. The tubes will be swapped (the single line and multiline are a compatible unit), and the multiline go into a show laser, and the single line be used for the aiming beam of yet another laser project, an 80 watt CO2.

Then to top it all off, I'm going to see who has a yellow HeNe and built a violet blue ray laser into a host as described on these forums.

That should keep me busy for quite a while.

Cheers
Ben

Last edited:

welcome.gif
to the Forum...

You seem to be aquanited with Lasers... :yh:
It is always good idea to get an accurate LPM..;)

There are a few available.... If you need Windows Data Logging and a
Small footprint... this might do for your needs... (before Xmas)...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/x...ee-i-199-99-shipped-free-xmas-gift-45992.html

Or after the Holidays you can get a LaserBee I here...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-laserbee-i-data-logging-215-99-shipped-43922.html

Or if you would prefer the Retail Price you can look here....

Calibrated 1 Watt Laser Power Meter + Thermopile Sensor by J.BAUER Electronics (EBY1WLPM)

[EDIT]

Well... My post makes no sense now... after you Edited your
Opening Post the day after I posted....:gj:

Jerry

Last edited:
Hey Welcome to the forum! I live in Sydney too! One day we should meet up! Never seen an argon laser in action.

BTW any queries in regards to blu-ray diodes/builds let me know! I'm always free on skype or MSN, let me know if you need any thing!

As Jerry said, a LPM would be a very wise investment. Take care -Adrian :beer:

vk2fro

Hi Jerry

Thanks for the meter ideas, but the laserbee only goes up to a watt - and in the long run I'm going to have a few lasers over that rating (a 1.7 watt ir diode comes to mind) so the meter I have sourced does 5watts.

No I wont be measuring the CO2 when it gets built :)

fanks for the welcome :)

vk2fro

Awesome Adrian - where are you mate - once I get the argon I might bring it around - do you have 532/488 rated glasses?

Things

Welcome to LPF :D

Keep an eye out for the new Kenometers, they can do up to 5W. They are currently in the design stages now, and I have some of the code worked out, just need to get a prototype done and we can release them.

aXit

Hey vk2fro,

Sydney Australia too, cool to see people in Australia who aren't into shining lasers at planes. :rolleyes:

I would ask what bands you operate on, but I've been out of it for way too long. Used to be vk2fpos.

aXit.

Hey - Gold Coast here. ;]

Welcome mate.

If anyone on the coast wants a 6x GGW build or a 240mW moh build - Let me know - I'm trying to sell mine. :)

Thanks

Tom

vk2fro

Axit: any band I choose provided I can operate there - since FRO is a full call, anything from 80thru 10 and 2m - also have a chooky but its not mine and is just having its mic fixed.

have a little yaesu 2m rig, an ic7000 and a vx3-r portable.

Thanks again for the welcome guys.

BRENT

Hi, its a so nice and good site ever. Its a really great and fantastic post here in this site. So, thank you for the sharing of your ideas and thoughts to all of us.

hey guys, i live in melbourne, does anyone here live in victoria and wants to sell me a laser pointer above 1mW ????

Um...first you just posted in a year old thread. Second, that company link in your sig is against forum rules. Unless you own the company, you should delete it so you dont get banned for spamming.