Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Singapore :)

Airgel

Hi all!

Finally made an account after toying with the idea of DIY-ing lasers for a while. I don't care much for burning things, more interested in the build process and the physics behind lasers, light and different lasing media etc. Also aiming to have a nice spectrum of lasers from violet to red. A little bit about me, I'm a student starting on my engineering degree, interested in photography, astronomy, and just STEM in general.

I have one big obstacle in my path though: cash (or lack thereof 😛) Classic broke student situation LOL. Anyone has tips for lasing on a budget? Getting hosts, heatsinks, and stuff from places like SL would blow my wallet to bits, not even counting shipping halfway around the world! I know quality safety goggles are a must, but would really like to save on them too. I've seen someone recommend goggles from Taobao, can anyone vouch for them? Would really really appreciate you guys' help with this 🙏🙏🙏

Anyway, I'm going to start off using broken torchlights I have lying around as hosts (Can't afford to buy new ones), and I'm ordering a few low power 405nm SLD3134VL diodes off aliexpress to gain some experience with the whole process.

Cheers 🤙

Welcome to the LPF. Cannot give advice on products on Taobao without seeing it. Need a link, at least. I did my engineering college days 45 years ago, but worked as a TV shop tech back then and made very good money for the times. I only had to borrow each semester and paid each loan off before the end of the semester. Made having a degree without any debts very doable. Good luck to you.

Snecho

Welcome to the forum! I love your field and also have the same background as do most members here I'm sure :p

Protecting your eyes is the single most important investment you can make. Going cheap there is not something you want to do if you value your eyes. SurvivalLasers's EaglePair are No. 1 in quality and the go to goggles for everyone here. SL has a discount for forum members. Use code: LPF445 for 10% off. So you can get a nice EaglePair for just over $40.

As for hosts and parts, SL is pretty much the cheapest place to start in DIY. They have an all-in-one bundle that has everything you need to build a laser minus a diode in a 12mm module from DTR. I believe you can use the same code for 10% your order.

You can also ask Lifetime17 to make or sell you a host prebuilt, prewired, and ready for a DTR module.

Here's his sale thread: https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...nks-focus-adapters-lasers.100082/post-1583617

Good luck in your projects.

Last edited:

Airgel

Welcome to the LPF. Cannot give advice on products on Taobao without seeing it. Need a link, at least. I did my engineering college days 45 years ago, but worked as a TV shop tech back then and made very good money for the times. I only had to borrow each semester and paid each loan off before the end of the semester. Made having a degree without any debts very doable. Good luck to you.

Thanks Paul! This is the thread I was referring to -
/threads/permanent-thread-ebay-other-internet-finds-of-interest-read-all-the-op-please-sub.75750/post-1573501

I'm not allowed to post links yet so just add LPF dot com in front 😅
Please let me know your thoughts! :)

Airgel

Welcome to the forum! I love your field and also have the same background as do most members here I'm sure :p

Protecting your eyes is the single most important investment you can make. Going cheap there is not something you want to do if you value your eyes. SurvivalLasers's EaglePair are No. 1 in quality and the go to goggles for everyone here. SL has a discount for forum members. Use code: LPF445 for 10% off. So you can get a nice EaglePair for just over $40.

As for hosts and parts, SL is pretty much the cheapest place to start in DIY. They have an all-in-one bundle that has everything you need to build a laser minus a diode in a 12mm module from DTR. I believe you can use the same code for 10% your order.

You can also ask Lifetime17 to make or sell you a host prebuilt, prewired, and ready for a DTR module.

Here's his sale thread: threads/sale-thread-hosts-heat-sinks-focus-adapters-lasers.100082/post-1583617

Good luck in your projects.

Thanks for the help Snecho! I'll definitely keep SL in mind as an option for parts. I wouldn't buy premade hosts though, I think I'd enjoy a more from-scratch approach :) As for goggles, right now SL is looking to be the best choice.

Philipnzw

Greetings from further up north. (Im Malaysian)
I was the fella that recommended the laser goggles from Taobao.
I would totally vouch for them, if you dont mind their shitty design. (It says T-rex on the middle of the goggles lmao).
Besides that, the price is around 30myr, which is basically dirt cheap.
I only have the red pair with me now (blocks 350nm-600nm iirc.). Tested it with 1 watt 525nm laser and it totally blocks out all of the light. Makes it look like a dim spot on the wall.

I'm a bit busy now but ill update with pictures in a bit.

The laser in the album is a 107mW 505nm green laser that i made.
The purple-ish spot on the right side is just my phone's laser autofocus being captured onto the photo by accident.

Last edited:

Airgel

Greetings from further up north. (Im Malaysian)
I was the fella that recommended the laser goggles from Taobao.
I would totally vouch for them, if you dont mind their shitty design. (It says T-rex on the middle of the goggles lmao).
Besides that, the price is around 30myr, which is basically dirt cheap.
I only have the red pair with me now (blocks 350nm-600nm iirc.). Tested it with 1 watt 525nm laser and it totally blocks out all of the light. Makes it look like a dim spot on the wall.

I'm a bit busy now but ill update with pictures in a bit.

gl/SiPTM4E4MjQtt7eR8

The purple-ish spot on the right side is just my phone's laser autofocus being captured onto the photo by accident.

Interesting! I wonder what the values would look like on a proper power meter 🤔 Thats pretty impressive for a 1W beam though!

Philipnzw

Interesting! I wonder what the values would look like on a proper power meter 🤔 Thats pretty impressive for a 1W beam though!

Oh, that wasn't the 1W green in the google photos album. It was my 505nm 100mW diy laser.
But i did test the goggles with a 1W green and it does make the dot safe to view.

Welcome to the Forum Airgel...
There are plenty of build tutorials here..
Can't wait to see one of your builds.

Enjoy the your stay and be Laser Safe.

Jerry