Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello From Philadelphia!

Rhett

Hey everyone! I've been lurking on these forums for quite a while and have been interacting with some of the people via pm and such, but was never really an active member. I've finally decided that perhaps it was time I at least made a welcome post. And so here I am, offering a hello from Philadelphia!

Like about everyone else here, I'll start by saying I've been interested in optics/photonics/all this kind of stuff, for as long as I can remember. It wasn't until a year or two ago that I found this forum and all of the possibilities and resources available became known to me. Right from the start I knew I was hooked.

Lets see, a little bit about myself... I am currently a student at the University of Pennsylvania with a prospective degree in bioengineering and a dual degree in biophysics. I feel extremely lucky to be here as the resources, both as people and equipment, seem endless. To name one very well know person, Dr. Sam of course, resides here. And for those wondering, yes I have emailed back and forth with him, but unfortunately have not met with him in person (yet ;)).

This forum has been invaluable in both feeding my every hungry maw with information about this kind of stuff, but has also provided inspiration and guidance for me (i.e. clearing up my decision on a choice for a major). The people on this forum are all very accommodating and have made the experience thus far very pleasant for me. To name the biggest person, Blord. I bought my first laser from him, and his service and everything is simply impeccable, as I'm sure the majority of you are already aware of. His ease of interaction and priceless information have been infinitely useful to me. So my greatest thanks go out to him. Another person who has had a bit of a passive effect on me (even though he doesn't even have an idea who I am) was bloompyle. I saw his posts throughout this forum, and his seemingly genius brain with regards to gas lasers and things of this nature in general, but I didn't know anything about him really until I looked at his website... He's also a college kid! My mind was blown to say the least. He showed me that starting from scratch and pursuing this hobby can lead to great rewards, and perhaps even a career. So, even though you don't know me, thank you Bloompyle.

And finally, to end this giant autobiography of sorts, here is something slightly more relevant which perhaps you all might find interesting. I am currently working in a bioengineering lab here at Penn under the instruction of Dr. Chris Fang-Yen, a professor here. In the lab, we conduct research on that beauty over there as my avatar <----- C.elegans (basically a worm :p). Instead of trying to feign to you all that I know all of the specifics behind this research (I wish I did), I will just post a link here to some of his publications and related work that the lab does. Let me just say, it involves these worms, gene expression, behavior, and laser-induced manipulation of these worms in all the above categories. That description in no way gives the research justice, but I don't want to act like I actually know what I'm talking about. And so here is a link to some publications: Fang-Yen Laboratory - Publications

If you've made it this far, kudos to you! And I guess I'll end this block by saying, hello once again! And I'm glad to be a part of the community :beer:

Edit:: Oh, and my name isn't Rhett ;)

Last edited:

sinner

Welcome to LPF , you've definitely come to the right place. Good luck :beer:

Tmack

Hello and welcome. Good to see someone not terribly far from Baltimore. You have some great members very close to you in Pennsylvania as well. .

Last edited:

Rhett

Thanks for the greetings everyone!
@MarioMaster I definitely will :)

In Philly this week for a few days on a medical conference. If your close to downtown I will buy you a coffee. I'm staying at the Marriott downtown. Don't know if that's close to the university or not (don't know a thing about Philly). Anyways, I know this is a late welcome but, welcome to the forum!