Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from NM

daniel17319

Hey fellas, I'm a man of many hobbies with my own business, I want a power full green laser for under 200 dollars that I can hit the moon and possibly burn stuff that is well made and can rattle around in my truck.

thanks fellas in advance.

Hi Daniel - There's a couple of problems with the laser you're looking for - It doesn't exist.

The moon is incredibly far away. 400,000km or 248,000 miles. The kind of lasers that astronomers use to hit the retro-reflectors on the moon is highly specific to the job at hand and will probably have cost tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. The reason for this is that to hit the moon - you need a laser with a very low divergence. No handheld lasers are good enough in this regard - as their beams spread out too quickly.

This effect is noticeable for many lasers, especially powerful multi-mode diode lasers, and the beam will noticeably spread out from one side of a large room to the other. Imagine how wide that beam will be after 248,000 miles... Forget this part of your request and then it becomes more realistic. You can point at things that are far away if you equip a laser with a Beam Expander - which widens the beam, but in the process reduces the divergence. I.e. the beam starts wider - but it won't spread out as much.

Green lasers fall into two categories, Direct-diode and DPSS. Direct Diode lasers consist of a laser diode which emits green light directly, and DPSS uses a series of crystals to change Infra-red light into green. DPSS lasers are generally cheaper nowadays, but you will get a very varied mix of power from them depending on temperature. Additionally - Lasers are fragile - if it "rattles around your truck" it's going to break. Put it in a pocket or padded case somewhere inside the truck and you should be fine.

A list of good and bad companies to buy from is listed in this thread. I personally have good experiences with Sanwu, but JetLasers are also well-regarded here. I honestly reccomend buying a cheap mass-produced 532 to dip your toes in and see if you want to spend more on a properly made one. This should be no more than $5-8 on the likes of Ebay or BangGood.

Before you even think about buying a laser - You MUST equip yourself with suitable eye-protection. Lasers are dangerous and can cause bad eye damage, which can be mitigated by wearing laser goggles designed to block the specific colour of light. Sunglasses/Welding masks etc are NOT suitable and will not protect your eyes.

Welcome to the LPF, Daniel! There are many nice and knowledgeable
people here who’ll be happy to listen and to help you whenever possible. If you’re serious about learning about lasers, please edit your welcome message to include your geographic location so that you can receive the most accurate information. You should also use the Search button to access our extensive database with information about all things laser. Our chief concern is safety, so be sure to always protect yourself and others by using proper vision protection, and never pointing a laser at any living thing. Lasers are wonderful and fascinating devices, but also dangerous! Please enjoy your stay here, and always remember to be laser safe. Thanks and Take Care.

-cd :D

Welcome to the LPF, Daniel. Any laser you can get will hit the moon, but to get any returning photons it will need to be both powerful and very low divergent. You will never get a laser that can hit the moon and be seen with the naked eye, as such a laser does not exist. Enjoy your stay here and feel free to learn as much as you are able.

daniel17319

Thanks fellas, I guess I should have said for astronomy purposes not hit the moon. a bit ambitious. I want a green laser without doing a lot of research into it I just want to mess with it , of course using a safety glasses. When I was in the Army we had a green laser that was very powerful used for calling in aircraft it was green laser. We would also shine it in windows to disrupts people in their. I just thought it would be cool to have something like that.

diachi

When I was in the Army we had a green laser that was very powerful used for calling in aircraft it was green laser. We would also shine it in windows to disrupts people in their. I just thought it would be cool to have something like that.

Not sure about anyone else but this is setting off some red flags for me...

daniel17319

It was standard practice, idk if these lasers would blind your or not. We would use them on check pointes to if a car was speeding to quickly towards us we would shine in the window. Whole car would light up green.

Aiming a green laser into any type of vehicle is certainly going to cause a serious eye hazard with permanent blindness a very real possibility. I can't see anyone or any armed force using it the way it has been described here. I have never heard of such practices by the US or any other armed force. It is listed as a war crime.

daniel17319

We called ti Escalation of force, it was the last warning before machine gun would light them up M2 50 cal.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
'' Not sure about anyone else but this is setting off some red flags flags for me ..."

Me too..and >LOTS of them .
anything more than a 532nm 50mW 300 (186500) series is overkill..
Not sure about anyone else but this is setting off some red flags for me...
Yikes! That is considered a war crime to use lasers to try to blind soldiers on the opposing force. It is a crime in most of the world, too.
'' Not sure about anyone else but this is setting off some red flags for me... ''

Me too..and >LOTS of them .
anything more than a 532nm 50mW 300 (186500) series is overkill..

I agree with you guys, this thread seems to have went sideways in a hurry. Seven posts into a welcome thread and we're talking about possibly blinding people, yeah, that's a red flag for sure.

In this forum, We primarily discuss about the laser pointer can see (405-660nm) and popular power is 1-10000mw, its power is only at a certain level and divergence increase with power,so they aren't equal to military lasers But It also makes your eyes permanently blind or burns on your body