Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from New York City

Hi I'm 20, my name is Jesse I'm a full time college student going for Liberal Arts as of right now. I plan to join the New York Police Department within the next year or two. After reading about 5 hours of stickies I would like to introduce myself since I've always been fascinated by lasers and would like to make it a hobby. My experience with them are minimal, the only lasers I have were cheap key ring ones and pressure switch lasers I have on my airsoft rifle. I think I understand things like how different nm frequency's determine the color and how mW determine the strength. Not too sure how strong the mW need to be to start doing things like being visible during day/night (I know this is also determined by the nm because humans can't see some colors as well as they can see others).

To start with I bought this laser

Adjustable Focus Burning Burn Green Laser Pointer Pen Safety Key Charger Battery | eBay

It doesn't specify the mW but I'm assuming it somewhere between 50-120.
I also purchased

HDE® Laser Eye Protection Safety Glasses W/ Free Hard Case - Amazon.com

The laser I ordered was 532nm and those filter it, it says so I hope I'm doing this correctly.

I ordered that particular laser because it shipped from the US and it cost me ~$9 since I had eBay bucks. My personal choice would be a blue laser or violet but unfortunately with a poor college kids funding that wont be possible. I would like a laser that could engrave wood but I would like a portable laser. I also know that this can be an expensive hobby much like my airsofting. I hope I can learn how to build my own laser one day possibly something around 1W that can be small and portable like WickedLasers Arctic (Yes I know it seems to be a hated site but the product they show still looks very nice). By joining this forum I'm hoping for a little guidance since I've looked at some threads before and everything looks like rocket science to me. I would like to make a collection and build my own.

Also I've read other threads and I'm still a little confused about where to buy complete lasers. Most sites take weeks for shipping it seems because they're either from another country (mostly China) or I'm assuming they need to be custom built or verified so they fit the FDAs guidelines?

Well any and all information for a beginner would be welcomed and I'm sorry for typing so much if anyone reads all of this! Thank you!

Reactions: ARG

MrHurt

Welcome to the forum SilverCedar(Jesse). I was once in your position as for college. (Hated it and bailed lol) Glad you started your homework on the reading Stickies part. Those threads tend to be the more useful. If you read up on this forum you will see that your knowledge on lasers will grow immensely. As for the laser you bought... I clicked on the link and found the Output power... I hate to be the one to break it to ya but this is what I found:

Dimension:φ22*160mm
Flare forms:plaque-forming - circleWavelength: 532nm.
Power output: < 1mW.
Beam style:continuous line.

Notice the power output?... If my eyesight serves me well it says "Less then 1mW". The good news is, you only ended up paying 9 bucks for it. Soooo it wasnt really a rip off. lol But if you intend on purchasing lasers at first (Like myself) I suggest buying from many trusted members here. The customer support is beyond amazing and they will do theyre best to make a good transaction.
You can find a thread with detailed members and what they focus on selling here
http://laserpointerforums.com/f41/made-lpf-support-your-fellow-laserists-first-83991.html

Read up on it when you get a chance. I too have a similar set of goggles, but IMO they work best with low wavelengths like 400-450nm... I can really use my 405nm to focus it with ease when I wear these. But as soon as I switch to my 650 red laser, it becomes more of a normal set of lens (useless). When I had my 532nm They also seemed to be useless. Remember for different wavelengths require different goggles. But, for now I dont think you need any protection from a >1mW laser. As a last note, remember green lasers have IR leak... So make sure you do your homework on that too! :D

Welcome to the forums mate! it does make me extremely happy to see that you've understood that the laser you purchased for $9 is most likely upwards of 50mW...

Be sure to read through each of the stickies(By the looks of things you already have) and read over the rules!

Enjoy your stay and best of luck with any laser builds!

Welcome to the forum! There are quite a few folks here that can build you custom lasers for great prices when you are ready... there is a ton of info here in the archives. Just be safe and have a great time!!

Hi I'm 20, my name is Jesse I'm a full time college student going for Liberal Arts as of right now. I plan to join the New York Police Department within the next year or two. After reading about 5 hours of stickies I would like to introduce myself since I've always been fascinated by lasers and would like to make it a hobby. My experience with them are minimal, the only lasers I have were cheap key ring ones and pressure switch lasers I have on my airsoft rifle. I think I understand things like how different nm frequency's determine the color and how mW determine the strength. Not too sure how strong the mW need to be to start doing things like being visible during day/night (I know this is also determined by the nm because humans can't see some colors as well as they can see others).

To start with I bought this laser

Adjustable Focus Burning Burn Green Laser Pointer Pen Safety Key Charger Battery | eBay

It doesn't specify the mW but I'm assuming it somewhere between 50-120.
I also purchased

HDE® Laser Eye Protection Safety Glasses W/ Free Hard Case - Amazon.com

The laser I ordered was 532nm and those filter it, it says so I hope I'm doing this correctly.

I ordered that particular laser because it shipped from the US and it cost me ~$9 since I had eBay bucks. My personal choice would be a blue laser or violet but unfortunately with a poor college kids funding that wont be possible. I would like a laser that could engrave wood but I would like a portable laser. I also know that this can be an expensive hobby much like my airsofting. I hope I can learn how to build my own laser one day possibly something around 1W that can be small and portable like WickedLasers Arctic (Yes I know it seems to be a hated site but the product they show still looks very nice). By joining this forum I'm hoping for a little guidance since I've looked at some threads before and everything looks like rocket science to me. I would like to make a collection and build my own.

Also I've read other threads and I'm still a little confused about where to buy complete lasers. Most sites take weeks for shipping it seems because they're either from another country (mostly China) or I'm assuming they need to be custom built or verified so they fit the FDAs guidelines?

Well any and all information for a beginner would be welcomed and I'm sorry for typing so much if anyone reads all of this! Thank you!
welcome and to right i love my WL S3 ,its puts out enough power 1.4 watts measured 1415mW LPM really looks the part ,real light saber style

Last edited:
welcome.gif
to the Forum Jesse....

Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Don't forget to put your location in your Sig if you
haven't yet done so. This way we know where you
are from.

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry