Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Michigan

Jhop

Hello, name is John.
I live in Michigan, USA. east side. about 30miles north of Detroit.

I just joined the forums last week. I have always had a fondness for anything lasers, and have owned a few laser pointers over the years. Well recently I discovered that this hobby has gotten pretty interesting with all the high powered lasers out there now that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I have a 532nm 5 mw laser atm and it is pretty fun seeing how far it will shine, and the pretty green color :) , and I have ordered a Sanwu Pocket 200mw 650nm about a week ago, looking forward to getting that and my first laser over 5mw :D

I have done alot of research on lasers, their batteries and proper eye protection. I don't need to go blind XD.

I just bought a Nitecore Charger, with the LED display for charging anything 18650 or smaller, it has 4 slots. Pretty nice. And I bought 2 18650's protected, to use in my 532nm. it takes one. Also for possible future Lasers. I also ordered a pair of 10440 unprotected for the pocket, and some magnetic spacers.

I saw in one of the posts here that someone put little rubber o-rings around their spacers, so they don't touch the internal sides of the host. That seems like a great idea. So I ask, would I need those for a Sanwu Pocket? if so where is a good place to find some?

Oh and I read that pointing high power lasers at the clouds in the US is not reccomended? Will big brother come knocking on my door? :p My GF lives in farm country Down near the Ohio/MI border. Pretty remote out there. Probably safe to test there?

Thanks

:wave:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome Jhop, great introduction, nice to see another Michigander on LPF! :wave:
Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay here; it already sounds like you'll fit right in. :beer:

Jeff

Last edited:
Welcome to LPF!

I need to get myself one of those nice chargers, the one I use is kinda crap :undecided:

94Z28

Welcome to LPF and really you have to use your bestimate judgement on where to use. Remember to scan the sky for air traffic and such, I use my pointers outside.

I'm just careful not to point it into neighbors windows or any cars.. and I never let it loose full blown into sky I usually direct it into a tree or something. If I was out in the country I wouldn't care.

Jhop

the Nitecore D4 I purchased was only $32 on amazon! not bad.

I just had to jump in here and give this advice, an old friend here seems to think I took my GIF avatar down for being paranoid about my sky beam shots, they are OK, as long as you aren't being stupid or crazy about it, right J?

...Oh and I read that pointing high power lasers at the clouds in the US is not reccomended? Will big brother come knocking on my door? :p My GF lives in farm country Down near the Ohio/MI border. Pretty remote out there. Probably safe to test there?

It is not illegal to point at a cloud, you probably already know that because you wrote the word "recommended" but also added a qualifier to that; "high power". Honestly, I don't think there is a recommendation not to point at clouds by anyone, sure someone can say that; "what ever you do, don't point at clouds!" and who can argue against the remote possibility an airplane might just be coming out of that particular cloud, right where your beam is pointing at that very moment? I mean, it is possible, so in that case it's another matter. But realistically, chances are you would be fine to do so, but be forewarned the potential for accidentally flashing an aircraft increases if you point to the horizon, so point high at 60-90 degrees. What is the possibility a pilot would be able to look down out his cockpit window at that angle anyway, unless a helicopter? I say not very damn likely but in any case, I will say this, don't do so if you live within 10 miles of an airport, it is illegal to do so in that case regardless. Otherwise, as long as you listen and look first and point high I don't see a problem. However, with the weirdness of some individuals, you never know who might not like it, or think you are trying to flash aircraft so best not to do so with onlookers.

Here's a nice beam shot, but cloudless night. This is actually the output of 19 laser diodes on a IR bar turned down as low an output a I could get it to show up on my modified camera for IR. The diodes were shooting into and then out of a tightly grouped bundle of glass fibers at about 16 mRad, terrible divergence and really only much good in this configuration as a long range CCD camera illuminator. Guaranteed no one will be turning you in for flashing into the sky with this thing and not a hazard to high flying aircraft. Only thing is being infrared, that is a potential hazard for close in, even at this divergence, so I don't think it is a good idea to be "flashing" one of these around for that reason (can't win, can ya), not due to any other concern but I did do so for a few minutes one night, just long enough to take some photographs, this one and another lighting up a tree:

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum John. What Alaskan has pointed out is good advice. It is good your taking safety into consideration and choosing reliable companies such as Sanwu. You'll fit in just fine. :)

Welcome to LPF! It is always good to see another Michigander.

Pointing lasers around outside is fine as long as you are observant of your surroundings and look out for any aircraft. Its also good to know where the nearest airport is and stay 10 mi away at least, due to the restrictions.

Stay safe and enjoy your stay. :)

PS. you could also join the Great lakes social group. (http://laserpointerforums.com/groups/great-lakes-laser-group/). That way we can keep track who may be near us.

Last edited: