Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Cyprus! I thought... why not?

No I didn't get it wrong, maybe I didn't say it clearly enough. The time dilation theory has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Let's say you had a spacecraft that could travel 99.xx% of the speed of light, and let's say you are going to the nearest star system to see what's there. Alpha Centauri, a binary or maybe a trinary system, Proxima Centauri is a good distance from the other two, Rigel Kent 1 and 2, anyway the distance is something like 4.33 light years. So traveling at 99.xx% the speed of light, let's say it takes you 2 weeks to get there (from your point of view aboard the spacecraft), you would find yourself approximately an additional 4 years and 4 months in the future, let's say you stay for several weeks checking the place out and then return at the same speed. Your going arive back at earth about 9 years after you left! Even though it's only been a few weeks. So yes you would be traveling forward in time very fast but everything should seem normal to you at the time. Kind of a half assed warp drive, am not sure I would travel like that, I would expect to return to the planet of the apes or something,:crackup: but it would be good for unmanned probes. If we can develop the technology.

Alan

No I didn't get it wrong, maybe I didn't say it clearly enough. The time dilation theory has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Let's say you had a spacecraft that could travel 99.xx% of the speed of light, and let's say you are going to the nearest star system to see what's there. Alpha Centauri, a binary or maybe a trinary system, Proxima Centauri is a good distance from the other two, Rigel Kent 1 and 2, anyway the distance is something like 4.33 light years. So traveling at 99.xx% the speed of light, let's say it takes you 2 weeks to get there (from your point of view aboard the spacecraft), you would find yourself approximately an additional 4 years and 4 months in the future, let's say you stay for several weeks checking the place out and then return at the same speed. Your going arive back at earth about 9 years after you left! Even though it's only been a few weeks. So yes you would be traveling forward in time very fast but everything should seem normal to you at the time. Kind of a half assed warp drive, am not sure I would travel like that, I would expect to return to the planet of the apes or something,:crackup: but it would be good for unmanned probes. If we can develop the technology.

Alan

Oh I understand how you mean it. We are saying the same thing, but from a different perspective. Truth is though, time will be moving slower for you.
I mean, that's what you get from the equation for time dilation.

Here are 2 examples I've found:
Time Dilation Worked Examples - Including easy-to-follow mathematics

You'll get to the "future" quicker (the future according to someone staying here on earth), but for you time will be moving at a slower rate.

Technically, you'd be moving forward in time, because time is moving slower than the time for people on earth.

We are both correct, at least from what I understand

Last edited: