Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Cyprus! I thought... why not?

I decided to do something different with my 100th post...
I never really formally introduced myself, so here I am! Better late than never!

Well, some of you may know me a bit already, but some (most) may not.

I made this account back in 2013 but I wasn't intending to be really active, since I only joined to ask a few questions about a laser I wanted to purchase.

I came back for some time in 2014 to ask more things and now I have returned, more active than ever before! :D

My interest in lasers during that time fluctuated. Every now and then I would regain that "spark". Occasionally, I would visit the forum to read a few threads, but nothing extreme. Lasers have always fascinated me though!

So, on to my introduction!
My name (as my username states) is Constandinos and I'm from Cyprus (that little floating piece of land below Turkey and next to Greece - kind of)

I am almost 18 years old and I aspire to become a theoretical particle physicist when I grow up.
I am interested a lot in physics, video games (I own a custom gaming pc and a PS3) and lasers (of course).

Unfortunately, I have two more years of obligatory military service before I can continue with my studies, but that also leaves me plenty of free time to spend on lasers!

I thought that in the future I would regret not introducing myself, so.. yeah :)

APEX1

My brother has his PhD in physics. He's a theoretical physicist and does lectures on string theory. I'm sure you'll love it.. Between him and styropyro is the reason I love this hobby so much. Love the avatar pic of ironman btw.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun career, how many years of school do you need?

Welcome :D

-Alex

haha thanks :p

Well, it's definitely interesting and fascinating and I assume it should take at least 8 years... A PhD is a must for this kind of profession

My brother has his PhD in physics. He's a theoretical physicist and does lectures on string theory. I'm sure you'll love it.. Between him and styropyro is the reason I love this hobby so much. Love the avatar pic of ironman btw.

That's awesome! Are there any of his lectures online? It should be interesting to listen to some :)

Thanks for the compliment, took me a while to find a good gif for my avatar XD

Who doesn't love Iron man, right? :D

Particle physics is all Greek to me. :crackup: Not sure if your familiar with that expression or if it's English only. I was listening to a radio show in the last couple of days and they were saying that the LHC at CERN is making strangelets, and the strangelets may be going into the earth and interact with normal matter making more strange matter that will eventually destroy the earth. :eek: They also suggested this as an explanation for the Fermi Paradox, all civilizations are destroyed by physicists before they develop the technology to colonize other planets. :eek: I hope it's not true and you will one day be Dr. Constandinos. Now isn't the best time to be in the military, there are too many problems and they are closer to your part of the world. Be careful and good luck.

Alan

Good luck. Hope you become what you aspire. :)

Thanks! :)

Particle physics is all Greek to me. :crackup: Not sure if your familiar with that expression or if it's English only. I was listening to a radio show in the last couple of days and they were saying that the LHC at CERN is making strangelets, and the strangelets may be going into the earth and interact with normal matter making more strange matter that will eventually destroy the earth. :eek: They also suggested this as an explanation for the Fermi Paradox, all civilizations are destroyed by physicists before they develop the technology to colonize other planets. :eek: I hope it's not true and you will one day be Dr. Constandinos. Now isn't the best time to be in the military, there are too many problems and they are closer to your part of the world. Be careful and good luck.

Alan

Haha, of course I'm familiar with it :p We use "Chinese" instead in here lol

They also suggested this as an explanation for the Fermi Paradox, all civilizations are destroyed by physicists before they develop the technology to colonize other planets.
Sounds ridiculous if you ask me XD Not implausible, but sounds really improbable lol It seems really similar to what they were saying about mini black holes forming in the LHC and how they could destroy earth. In reality, it's really unlikely, since those microscopic black holes decay almost instantly

Thanks, I'll try to be careful, even though I doubt anything serious will happen in Cyprus in the next two years. But then again, who knows?

APEX1

Thanks, I'll try to be careful, even though I doubt anything serious will happen in Cyprus in the next two years. But then again, who knows?

It's a shame that Cyprus has been in so many conflicts and divided by religion for soooooo long. If my memory serves me correctly the turks invaded the north side of the island a very long time ago. Its very sad it's such a beautiful island. Back in the 70's it was a very popular place to visit among the rich and famous. What I find so upsetting is all the ancient history in the zone lines can not be dug up or explored because of law's.. I was going to try and visit Aphrodite's rock when I was in port a few years ago. Good luck with everything I will post a few links of my brother's lectures..

Last edited:
cool and hey.

since your into physics and i am too, heres a question i have been pondering:

if spacetime is a true concept, how is it that we can go "back" to our homes, every day, as time only travels forward. maybe you can answer this because i do not have any schoolingof these!

and formal welcome

APEX1

cool and hey.

if spacetime is a true concept, how is it that we can go "back" to our homes, every day, as time only travels forward. maybe you can answer this because i do not have any schoolingof these!

and formal welcome

I TRULY HOPE YOUR NOT SERIOUS???????????:wtf::wtf::wtf:

It's a shame that Cyprus has been in so many conflicts and divided by religion for soooooo long. If my memory serves me correctly the turks invaded the north side of the island a very long time ago. Its very sad it's such a beautiful island. Back in the 70's it was a very popular place to visit among the rich and famous. What I find so upsetting is all the ancient history in the zone lines can not be dug up or explored because of law's.. I was going to try and visit Aphrodite's rock when I was in port a few years ago. Good luck with everything I will post a few links of my brother's lectures..

They like to call it "military intervention" XD I guess it sounds prettier... But we still call it an invasion. Unfortunately, one cannot visit the 37% of the island, unless you show their passport, which is illogical if you ask me. Plus, the north side of the island is now filled with criminal activity. Oh well, we can only hope for a better future :p

cool and hey.

and formal welcome

Thanks for the welcoming! :)

Pretty sure that this doesn't have much to do with Einstein's general theory of relativity :p

Can't tell if it's a serious question or not, but going "back" to your home, doesn't have anything to do with time only moving forwards. So that fact is irrelevant. You can move forwards and backwards in space though. That's what the phrase is all about.

Peculiar question is peculiar :p

Last edited:

APEX1

Pretty sure that this doesn't have much to do with Einstein's general theory of relativity

Can't tell if it's a serious question or not, but going "back" to your home, doesn't have anything to do with time only moving forwards. So that fact is irrelevant. You can move forwards and backwards in space though. That's what the phrase is all about :p

There is no way that guy is serious.. No one is that dumb. He's got to be making a joke.

Don't assume he is a Floridiot, he could be Cuban and not know how to correctly state his question although I doubt he is Cuban because he said his name is Dylan. Anyway maybe I can add a little info. We live in a 4 dimensional universe, really there are more than 4 dimensions but we can't perceive them for some reason, maybe because we are only 4 dimensional. I am not so sure time only moves forward, we don't know how to move backward in time but that doesn't mean it's impossible. We are moving through space at a very high speed and when you're moving, you are also moving forward in time. Einsteins time dilation theory tells us that the faster you go the faster you move through time, so the speed of time isn't constant. I'll leave it there for now, my brain is starting to hurt just thinking about this.

Alan

Anyway maybe I can add a little info. We live in a 4 dimensional universe, really there are more than 4 dimensions but we can't perceive them for some reason, maybe because we are only 4 dimensional. I am not so sure time only moves forward, we don't know how to move backward in time but that doesn't mean it's impossible. We are moving through space at a very high speed and when you're moving, you are also moving forward in time. Einsteins time dilation theory tells us that the faster you go the faster you move through time, so the speed of time isn't constant. I'll leave it there for now, my brain is starting to hurt just thinking about this.

Alan

Oh, you count time as an additional dimension. Fair enough. For a moment there I thought you meant an actual (4th) space dimension. There are countless theories out there about the number of dimensions that exist. It's been theorized that there's at least 11 of them. At least this is the minimum amount for super-symmetry (AKA SySy) to exist.

Supposedly, as you stated, due to time dilation, approaching the speed of light or approaching an object that has large mass (according to Einstein's General theory of relativity) will make time flow slower (you said "and when you're moving, you are also moving forward in time"? That isn't exactly right, unless of course you meant that time still flows, which in that case, yeah, of course it does).

Einsteins time dilation theory tells us that the faster you go the faster you move through time

I think you got it wrong there :p Approaching the speed of light means time is moving at a slower rate. Of course, in your point of reference, there wouldn't be any difference. Check the Twin paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a better understanding. It's a very nice example of how relativity could be applied to our life.

It is true though, that space is expanding really fast. The further the galaxies are, the faster they are moving away. In fact, space is expanding with a speed faster than the speed of light! One would think that this violates Einstein's Special theory of relativity, but truth is, it doesn't because it (the theory) never mentions space only being able to move at the speed of light.

It's been said that managing to go faster than the speed of light would act as some sort of a time machine, that is to be able to travel back in time... I can't see how that could ever be possible though... I mean, the moment we realize we have mass, is the moment we realize that we'll never be able to travel that fast.

Anyway, here's a couple interesting videos and a lecture by Brian Cox. (He mentions some of the points I wrote here at about 19:30 through the video)

(Just to avoid any misunderstandings, the video isn't about atheism lol)

Interesting stuff :)

Last edited:
I decided to do something different with my 100th post...
I never really formally introduced myself, so here I am! Better late than never!

Well, some of you may know me a bit already, but some (most) may not.

I made this account back in 2013 but I wasn't intending to be really active, since I only joined to ask a few questions about a laser I wanted to purchase.

I came back for some time in 2014 to ask more things and now I have returned, more active than ever before! :D

My interest in lasers during that time fluctuated. Every now and then I would regain that "spark". Occasionally, I would visit the forum to read a few threads, but nothing extreme. Lasers have always fascinated me though!

So, on to my introduction!
My name (as my username states) is Constandinos and I'm from Cyprus (that little floating piece of land below Turkey and next to Greece - kind of)

I am almost 18 years old and I aspire to become a theoretical particle physicist when I grow up.
I am interested a lot in physics, video games (I own a custom gaming pc and a PS3) and lasers (of course).

Unfortunately, I have two more years of obligatory military service before I can continue with my studies, but that also leaves me plenty of free time to spend on lasers!

I thought that in the future I would regret not introducing myself, so.. yeah :)

I already met you thru some of my posts...cool guy in my books. Hood luck with your career my friend :)