Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Colorado

Welcome to the forum Mike! I'm also from Arvada, Colorado myself. Maybe I'll see you around some time! if you live in Longmont you're fairly close, and you live fairly close to my friend (who also lives in Longmont) as he goes to college up there.

Congrats on starting your collection! Have fun and be safe!

I had noticed! thought I'd jump in on the fray as well. maybe this calls for a (safe) party :D

Hi Mike,
Welcome,
Thought I would add to the Colorado thread.
I'm in Longmont as well.
When you mentioned the D7000, it made me hope it wasn't yours that was recently stolen from the Safeway parking lot @ 17th & pace. I saw the fliers around and to listed a D7000 as well as lenses and mentioned it was from professional photographer.
I'm a Canon person myself, but use to be a Nikon owner. I've been out of the hobby for some time but just jumped back in and just this week replaced my 20D with a new 6D.

Well howdy neighbor! Thankfully that was not my camera and lenses that had been stolen!!! That is terrible, and I feel for who ever that was. Kind of an eye opener too, because there have been so many times coming home from work I'll stop at the King Soopers on Hover and forget to lock my doors, even though my camera is right there in back. I'll be sure to pay closer attention to locking my doors now. Yikes!

You're going to love that 6D! This area is so photogenic, especially this time of year! I have pondered switching to Canon myself, but it's just so hard to do once you have so much invested in lenses, and you learn your way around a brand of camera so well. Someday... once I have millions! (which probably wont happen anytime soon because I seem to be spending all of my money on lasers recently :p )

If you see a green dot in the sky in the coming months it's probably me! Come out with the 6D for some night time photography!

Hello, Mike! Man, I wish I had come across this thread earlier. I have a twin brother, who lives outside of Peyton. I hope you're surviving the fires!

I am a former professional photographer who specialized in open shutter, long exposure work with large format cameras. I really enjoy your starscapes! My work was mostly architectural.

Welcome to the forums! I look forward to your future involvement here.

What's up SBA!
Man Peyton is like right next door to those fires! I hope he is alright and not getting too smoked out. I'm further north than most of the areas where the fires are burning. Every once and awhile you will catch a whiff of smoke, but that's about it.

I would love to work with large format cameras some day. Do you have a portfolio online? I would love to see your work!

Thanks for the welcome, and sorry it took a few days to get back to ya - I was out of town visiting my family for father's day weekend.

MrHurt

Welcome Crunchy! Amazing photos. I'm no photographer, but I know art when I see it ! (I can sketch many realism images including faces) I hope you learn lots from this foroum as have I !

Hey Colorado or more specifically, Denver. Wanna stop pointing your lasers at planes at DIA (Denver International Airport)? Just heard on FOX NEWS that this year there have been 41 events at DIA so far, up from 28 or so last year, all year.

It was a blue laser this time. It only takes one douche to ruin it for everyone, and there have been at least 41 douches this year.

There are a few more wavelengths for me to collect, and I may want to buy a few more to sell at exponential increase of price once they are inevitably banned because of idiots who like to target aircraft, so please hold off the stupidity and ill intent to planes a bit longer please, thanks

Fried

Yeah id really hate to see the FDA crack down on lasers more than they already do

Yeah id really hate to see the FDA crack down on lasers more than they already do

They probably will sooner or later. Its only a matter of time. :(

The majority of people in the world are too stupid and/or don't know any better. They just think a laser is cool, buy one to show off, but are reckless with it, not thinking of what it can do, nor are willing to put more than 5 minutes into learning how to use it safely and maintain it, let alone use it for more than showing off. Even a green <5mW pointer is a glare hazard from hundreds of feet away, and on a clear night is visible from over a mile away if its pointed in your direction. I'm sure planes report this kind of stuff too, so those incidents may not all be intentional....

A lot of countries are banning anything in public that isn't eye safe because too few people use them responsibly, and they aren't technically needed in day to day life for the general public. I personally think the USA has it right though...I don't see a problem with class IIIa/IIIR and below in public as limiting to class II is a bit extreme to me...but in the home people can have any power as long as its under control. Its everyone's responsibility to make sure they're used in a safe and responsible way, just as a car or a knife or anything else would be.

Forgive me but I'll get off my soap box now... constructive criticism? comments? thoughts?

I agree, not all the incidents are involving an attack during take off or landing, I'm sure the pilots probably scream laser even if they only saw a dot hundreds of yards away, but still. when the news starts reporting an increasing number of incidents like this, you know the average person is thinking, "why don't they do something about that?"

"something" will undoubtedly take the form of a ban. too hard to punish individuals for individual actions, much better to punish everyone, I mean hey, who the hell owns lasers anyway?

maybe if it's such an issue, the airlines could issue safety glasses to pilots covering the most common wavelengths involved in attack. wait no, that could actually help and make a difference for safety, much better to just ban them and hope attacks don't continue after that.

laying on the sarcasm pretty thick

Hey look man, not sure if you meant it literally or figuratively, but in any case, don't get offended...

maybe if it's such an issue, the airlines could issue safety glasses to pilots covering the most common wavelengths involved in attack.

...but idea of issuing laser safety glasses to pilots is one of the top 10 most retarded ideas I've heard in my entire life.

It's directly equivalent to issuing bullet proof vests to bank counter workers instead of focusing on gun control. (Topic for another thread).

There are so many details fundamentally wrong to point out with it, that I am not even going to try it, because holy sh|t you people.

If there is a well defined job to be done by workers, and somebody elses idiocy gets in the way, you don't issue safety goggles. You restrict the idiocy. If it means banning the tools used to harm others, it's fine by me, really.

UK and Australia and number of other countries have absolute "photons big no-no" policy. So what? We have just as many members from there, as we do from countries who do not restrict the lasers that bad.

But that's beating around the bush. Truth is, there will ALWAYS be idiots pointing lasers at other people. And everything short of "The Day The Earth Stood Still [remake]" scenario will simply not change it.

And if you must rant on, rant about the idiots not using common sense, not about government and people in charge of other people's safety who are simply doing what's in their power. They can't magically make people responsible and prevent them from doing stupidities.

They can either try enforcing bans, or absolutely nothing at all. They're in a tough position.

And NO, "Here's your safety goggles, pilot, because people are sometimes pointing lasers at the plane" is NOT on the table of candidates for a solution to a problem.

I don't see what the problem with this idea is. think for a minute. even if lasers were banned;

1. some people would still have them, and could still point them at planes.
2. people could obtain them illegally and still point them at planes.
3. people who don't misuse them are punished by having no or restricted access to lasers.

In the U.S., the few places that ban guns have higher crime, because criminals don't obey bans, and knowing no one else is armed they can rob and kill with impunity. similarly, even though Australia has banned lasers, attacks at Sydney International Airport still occurr.

Is it not sensible to prevent a problem you know can and has happened? safety glasses would eliminate the danger, without needing to make new laws or bans. If it is really the safety of the pilot/passengers that is the cause of concern, how is this solution not workable? you said yourself you can't control people's stupidity, and that there will always be stupid people, regardless of bans, so, failing that, why not take measures (relatively inexpensive in this case) to prevent unsafe laser attacks?

Consider this. If you were a pilot concerned about a laser attack, which would make you feel safer. 1. a ban on lasers. 2. a pair of laser glasses by your side? It's a no brainer for me

I am always in favor of punishing individuals for individual crimes, not punishing the group. Guns would be banned in the U.S. otherwise. also, rocks would be banned. rocks are dangerous, lots of people have been hurt and killed by them. those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither (and usually receive neither)

trying not to be offended even though this is one of the top 10 most retarded ideas in existence, up there with giving infants armed thermonuclear warheads

Last edited:
You assume that laser safety glasses would eliminate one problem without creating new ones.

If that were true simply as that, you would be in the right and I'd agree.

But you have to understand,
1) There are lasers across all visible spectrum. You cannot block them all, lest you're wearing a brick.
2) Blocking only one laser type blocks out aportion of your visible spectrum.

Want to block green lasers? Well, all the green instruments on your control boards are now invisible.

Not to mention that you lose the brightness of your vision, by a lot. If you block green color, you lose one third or more of your vision brightness. Also, protection against green, usually are red goggles which also block blue.

Well congratz, two thirds of your instruments are now invisible and you see only 1/3rd of brightness.

You know why pilots have troubles with lasers? It's not because they are blinded, as you would expect. By the time the beam reaches the plane, is several meters wide.

Problem is because the pilot has his natural nightvision (eyes adopted to dark) ruined, and can't see shit for several seconds.

You put on a laser goggles on top of the eyes adopter to dark? You would see precisely squat. Also you will notice there are no reports of pilots being blinded by lasers during the day.

Basically, if you really wanna see what's wrong, just grab your favorite pair of laser safeties and go for a drive around the city. Not every single day, like you are reccomending, just once. "I can't see green stoplights" is just the tip of it. Reduced vision and overall color scheme that's unnatural and unexpected will wreck havoc with your concentration. If you cannot drive a car with goggles, how can you expect somebody to drive an airplane with dozens of passangers?

Last edited: