Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Colorado

Hello Everyone!
My name is Mike, I am from the sunny mountains of Colorado! I am new to LPF as well as to this world of lasers in general.

For years I have been using a Walmart bought red dot laser pointer for night time photography. It's hard to get your subject in focus at night so I use a laser to help me out. If you are shooting, lets say a tree for example, and need that tree to be in focus - shine your laser on the tree, focus on the dot and since the dot and the tree are at the same distance away, your tree is now in focus!

Anyway, after burning through little red laser after little red laser, I decided to check online to see if there was anything out there a little more reliable.

What I found was a whole world of lasers of different sizes, powers, and colors! Not knowing a thing about good companies or quality of lasers, I decided to go with a 30mW 532nm from laserpointerpro.com because the price was right. The distance I could get with that laser allowed me to photograph subjects much further away than my little red laser did. It was amazing, I couldn't believe what I had been missing!

The laser worked well for awhile, but eventually died just like all of my little red ones (I had no idea about duty cycles until now - probably why they died :p). Going back online I did a little more research and eventually found lazerer.com. I ordered a 100mW 532nm and some goggles this time (which should be coming in the mail this week!) But in my search I was also looking for laser reviews and stumbled upon this forum.

I've been browsing around and reading posts for a few weeks now and finally decided to make an account. This seems like an awesome community of really knowledgeable people. The more I read the more I am getting into this Laser hobby and I am almost as interested in it now as I am photography!!

I look forward to reading and learning more from this community, and sharing my laser stories with you all as well as learning from everyone with way more experience

I hope my introduction was not too long, but I am excited to have joined this forum!

See you around!

- Mike

After Dark - lohrphoto - Michael Lohr Photography

418400_281364605297197_1576199500_n.jpg

297750_281642765269381_322926162_n.jpg

Last edited:

Blord

Welcome to the LPF forum. Make sure you read the stickies and the safety about the lasers.

I like you long exposure photo's. My area is too much light polluted to do such camerawork.

Great intro post, Mike! Welcome to LPF.

I'm a bit of a photographer myself, although I don't earn a living from it. Landscapes are my favorite. I don't have the knack for photographing lasers down just yet. You have some great stuff in your portfolio. Here is an example of my work: http://tinyurl.com/khvbo7z

Have fun and be safe!

Cheers!
-c

Thanks guys!
I will be sure to be extremely safe with the more powerful lasers, and read all of the stickies. It's cool to see how responsible everyone is with their lasers and making sure others are as well - Another thing I love about this forum.

KapHn8d - That is an AMAZING b&w landscape!! Where was that taken?

Welcome to LPF, and nice photo's crunchy. :kewlpics:
I'm fairly new myself, but this place has been around for a long time and has a crazy amount of information jam packed in. You will surely enjoy yourself here. As Blord said be sure to take the time to read all the stickies in each section, AND use your search bar before making any post since many of the common questions have already been answered. :whistle:

Enjoy your stay and Cheers, :beer:

P.S.
Where you at in CO, and what camera you using in these photos?

Hi Mdubbicus,
Thanks! And I am in Longmont, CO - It's kind of near Boulder CO, just a few miles NE of there. Those photos were both shot just outside of Boulder at a historic ranch property up in the mountains. I shoot most of my night stuff with a Nikon D7000 and I switch between a 35mm F/1.8 and a 11-16mm F/2.8 lens. The F/1.8 lets more light in on darker nights, but the F/2.8 is crisper and a much wider angle.

And thanks for the advice - I definitely picked up on that after reading some posts over the last few weeks. It seems pretty looked down upon to not research your answer for yourself first before you ask for help.

I have learned a lot already, and am sure I am only touching the tip of the iceberg when it comes to lasers.

I'm pretty pumped :)

Oh goody another Colorado member. I hail from Grand Junction, but my job takes me all over the state, Lake City ATM. I'd have recommended this laser over the one you got from Lazerer: Optotronics Product Details

It's a bit pricey, but optotronics are top quality, I am getting a 500mW RPL 532nm. For most wavelengths, I recommend the member builder Blord. he has the highest business ethics I have ever encountered. Although he does live in Belgium and there are builders within the U.S.

Nice pics, I went camping on June 8th, the new moon for just such a view, up on Glade Park which is southwest of the Colorado National monument. I wanted to see the stars and get in a camping trip before the inevitable fire bans. seems I chose wisely, right after I went all these fires started. I brought my lasers, started the campfire with one, and had a blast. enjoy your stay

Yeah, I have gotten mixed reviews on Lazerer - It's been 3 weeks on the shipping so far so I'm hopping this week is when it arrives. Funny you say I should buy from Blord, I actually just sent him a payment a few hours ago for a 1.5w 445! He has better reviews than most anyone/any company i've come across and for a great price as well. I'm very excited to own a Blord original.

Colorado Monument is a great place. I've been there myself. However this was before I was into photography so it looks like I'll have to go back now.

Nice, :D
I was going to say that second pic looks like it's right out by my buddies place a little outside Lyons but that's legit.
Which build/host did you snag from Blord?

Last edited:
Lyons is only about 30 minutes from this ranch actually. It's definitely closer to Boulder than it is Lyons though. I didn't even realize before that your info says Denver, CO! Good to know I can talk lasers with some other locals.

Put in the order for a 1.5W 445 in a black C6 host.

Blord is superb, check out my thread "I want to bring attention to something outstanding" in the review section

Wow, he does sound like an outstanding guy! Looks like I made a good choice today placing my order :)

But, with that being said, after reading your post about "unspecified products" should I be more cautious posting on here what I ordered and from who? I didn't know customs was potentially monitoring this site. I'm kind of nervous now!

It depends. It seems the customs thing may have been a mistake, they may never even have had it. usually it's ok, those were special circumstances. No batteries were sent so it was possible, though unlikely, that they were searching to see what they may have on their hands. It probably was not a needed precaution. I am so pleased with Blord that I recommend him to everyone I can. The man goes way beyond exceeding expectations. see my signature? notice how many are builds by him?

I think that's probably up to you to decide. That was what I kinda assumed he had made for you, but wasn't sure if he had anything else up his sleeve I really wanted to get in on or check out.

Blord, is a really patient and good guy. I think Shaken was just probably trying to shed light on how great the service and quality he offers and stands behind is. I just commissioned Blord to make me the last 501b from this batch, a 445nm 2.2+Watt w/ Black Host earlier this week, which has already been shipped just waiting on arrival now. Plus, after the group buy is done at the end of the month. I'll probably see about having him make me a Dominator, the output and duty cycles on those beasts are really nice for their size.

Dominator is what I'm getting, I forked over the extra cash for the copper heat sink, can't wait. the rest are in 501B hosts, which come in many different colors. I had him match the wavelength as closely as possible to the host color so I know which I am grabbing without turning them on. The 501B hosts are small, but can harbor quite powerful lasers