Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Cali, soon to be Oregon

RandomName123

I've been browsing for quite a while now (about a 1.5years). I got a couple of lasers in altoid cans and a Survival Laser host (Sharp 488nm, either a Sharp GH0631IA2GC or Oclaro HL63603TG can't remember which one I bought pretty sure its the Sharp, Osram PLT5, and lastly a 532nm from Techhood on ebay). I mainly joined to ask for some help converting them into some black Laser66 host so they would look less ghetto. I couldn't post the link to Laser66 since I don't have 20 post yet.

Hi, Welcome,
We are all familiar with laser 66 pen hosts it takes some time to assemble these pens. I have done plenty of them and also many members here.
Rich:)

Interesting name you picked to post here. Sounds like one of our many trolls. The Sharp 488nm diode's part number is GH04850B2G. They typically run anywhere from 486nm to 493nm. I drive mine at 275 mA for well over 100 mW output with almost any lens. But, they have a rectangular artifact in the beam profile unless you use either an acrylic lens or the 2 element 520nm AR coated lens from DTR. Good luck and welcome to the LPF.

RandomName123

Hey Lifetime, my main problem is my hands are a bit too shaky for small soldering jobs (which is the main reason I only have one of my lasers in a real host since the Altoid cans were easier to put together). I'm planning on making a buy and sell post and seeing if someone could do it for me. It wouldn't be until after the holidays since I'm moving next week.

Edit: Not a troll I promise. The name came from Star wars instead of calling the the massive pit creature from Return of the Jedi I called it a Suck Pit. So whenever I can't come up with a name for a forum I usually default to that.

I have lived in Oregon before. It was Gresham, just outside Portland. Where are you planning to move? I also lived in Vancouver, Washington which is just across the Columbia River from Portland. It is a bit more laid back than living right in Portland. Sorry, I didn't get that reference.

RandomName123

No worries Paul! I've witness countless trolls on here during my time of lurking I completely understand being suspicious. The reference is more of a family thing. I'm moving up to from Sacramento to Dallas, Oregon which is about a 20 minute drive from Salem. It's going to be quite of change for me, from having summers being over 110F and usually very little rain in the past couple years to lots of rain.

The Dallas is right on the Columbia River. Last time I was there it looked fine, but that was 20 years ago. I have been over every part of the Columbia River from both sides, the Oregon and the Washington sides. The closer you get to the coast, the better the weather as far as temperatures go. I am in Tacoma now and it rarely gets very hot in summer or cold in winter. It does rain a lot though.

RandomName123

Nice! I'm mainly moving due to how expensive Cali has gotten over the years. But I'm quite excited for the cold. I lived in New Hampshire in a town of less than 1000 for about 4 months during the winter while helping family there and I loved how cold it got over there.

Welcome to the forum...
Hope you have proper safety Goggles/Glasses
for your Lasers...

Enjoy the Forum and be Laser Safe.

Jerry

GSS

Hey Lifetime, my main problem is my hands are a bit too shaky for small soldering jobs (which is the main reason I only have one of my lasers in a real host since the Altoid cans were easier to put together). I'm planning on making a buy and sell post and seeing if someone could do it for me. It wouldn't be until after the holidays since I'm moving next week.

Edit: Not a troll I promise. The name came from Star wars instead of calling the the massive pit creature from Return of the Jedi I called it a Suck Pit. So whenever I can't come up with a name for a forum I usually default to that.
Welcome:)
and i'm another member who has a shaky hand "essential tremor". I keep the tiny soldering to others as it just to expensive to make a mistake.
Lifetime17 has been a blessing for me as I leave the fine stuff to him.
Member Paul a few years back also set up a 200mw 532 module for me. I was amazed at his fine soldering, especially as these 532 modules are so exposed.
When in doubt just ask.. Be safe!

Portland is a Mecca for Laser geeks-- and they hold great LEMs-- add location into your profile and I will let the oregon members you are coming== some of our finest members are there and always helpful--- I would mak,e another greet thread in the newcomers section and you will get welcomes when they see Oregon in its title--you cannot beat hands-on help[[[[

Len

Lagomorpha

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay and that you find all the info you are looking for. Good, helpful people here on these forums.

....welcome again.. I will be right back w/ some links for you that have helped me with soldering..hak

ok--but take a look--if you want to try one I can get you a sample--

btw NOT spam
hak

sorry about my rudeness--MYB some of us were influensed by your username. so MY BADon that.
I think I have 'cabin fever' amd I wont say I am not bothered by Covid-
Only a few are more 'at risk' as I am.
copd
some minor heart probs (2018)
border-line diabetes.

anyhoo
hope you are yours as safe--Len in Houston (close) where AixiZ is locatedac1ecd_1be9ef19f2cb4345982766c9f35799d2_mv2.jpg