Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Bend Oregon

Yep i am a novice with details on lasers but have had many over the years and understand enough to stay safe. However when it comes to the nm wavelengths and watts combined it gets a bit tedius so far. you cant find anywhere a simple "This laser can be seen at its furthest point by human eyes.
all i see is most powerful and chinas garbage or well lottery i guess...you might get something good...right?? Anyways sorry i have been away 3 years almost after signing up. Had a kid had to tour and ya work work work....so hello from Bend you guys. Got a CD coming out soon if you google keez watercreatures huff post thats me but no biggie.

Welcome to the LPF, Jones. There is no simple way to find the laser that can be seen from the farthest point away from you. The divergence of the beam is important as is the wavelength. Solid state lasers often have much better divergence specs in mrad that direct diode lasers. But, you can offset that by using a beam expander which increases the near field beam profile, but gives you much better divergence in the far field. Green would be your best bet for wavelengths. These run anywhere from 505nm up to 532nm. You can build a pretty good 1.4 watt 520nm laser for ~$300.00. Then add a 10X beam expander to it to decrease its divergence in the far field. Hope this information helps you.

welcome ---Must be a great state to live in... many moved there.
DR Lava (who now has his phd so the 'Dr' is now for real')
JeffK owner of a pyro company & he does lots of touring as well.
sugeek.. (adam) moved there from north of Dallas.
10fenny, and a few others--all super folks --as helpful as possible
AND I truly wished they all lived here OR I move to Portland..lol

The one member who does sell some (kits) at Ebay (but wants 'us' to contact him via the forum for better deal)
ricktrent...and I (still)have some Jetlasers lasers here in Houston to sell FOR JL (black Pro PL-E 450 and 520nm( you would be paying JL--I would be the shipper.
(Imagine that hak is a drop shipper for China!! lol)

The one member who does sell some (kits) at Ebay (but wants 'us' to contact him via the forum for better deal)
ricktrent...and I (still)have some Jetlasers lasers here in Houston to sell FOR JL (black Pro PL-E 450 and 520nm( you would be paying JL--I would be the shipper.
AWESOME Thank you I am way dopwn for a really good laser for sure and appreciate the help whats step 1

Welcome to the LPF, Jones. There is no simple way to find the laser that can be seen from the farthest point away from you. The divergence of the beam is important as is the wavelength. Solid state lasers often have much better divergence specs in mrad that direct diode lasers. But, you can offset that by using a beam expander which increases the near field beam profile, but gives you much better divergence in the far field. Green would be your best bet for wavelengths. These run anywhere from 505nm up to 532nm. You can build a pretty good 1.4 watt 520nm laser for ~$300.00. Then add a 10X beam expander to it to decrease its divergence in the far field. Hope this information helps you.
yes you have shown me what i needed to know and couldnt find as well put as you anywhere...thanks again. as far as building one how can youm do that in usa? i need to basically have a shipper from uk canada china trustworthy really

im down to buy it lets do this..i do not know how to build one thats for sure but i visited his page and i see the heatsinks diodes etc just no clue how to assemble and probably not something i should do im guessing?

Hi K,
Welcome to LPF many nice folks here with info, you can search for a topic with the search field provided .
Oh You can edit your posts if you need to add , double and triple posting is a no no here . have a good time and be safe.

Rich:)

Over the years I have purchased modules, laser diodes, diode presses, diode extractors, hosts and many drivers. With the proper tools and parts, building a laser becomes quite easy after you do a few. DTR is a member here that sells modules, drivers and diodes. You will also find other suppliers with time.