Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello, fellow laser fans!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF SgtHK! :beer:

Jetlasers is a great company, and a good choice to purchace from, although 5W is a very powerful laser for your first high power unit. Be very careful!
Be sure to have the proper safety glasses/goggles for your lasers wavelength.

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay here! :D

PS - Please fill out your profile to show your general location; this gives us a better chance to help you. :yh:

Welcome to the LPF. What part of the world do you live in? As has already been stated, 5 watts is a lot of power for a first laser. Stray reflections will not only blind you, but burn you as well. Stay safe and enjoy your stay with us. :yh:

Encap

Welcome and enjoy the forum--it is without any doubt one of the best on the internet for many reasons.

As others have mentioned a 5W 445nm laser is a lot of output and very dangerous----accidents with lasers happen faster than any human can respond to and correct for--it's over/has happened along with whatever damage to your eyes or to others it has done before you realize it happened at all so............ always wear good safety goggles/glasses and use proper operating procedures.

Here is one guy who took a direct hit to the eye with a 1W 445nm laser by accident: https://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

Also read up on laser safety at this excellent site: Laser Pointer Safety - A comprehensive resource, for safe and responsible laser use

Last edited:

SgtHK

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm from the Philippines. Our laws regarding laser usage are quite similar to the US and other western countries, especially with regards to aiming lasers at vehicles and people.

I did a lot of research before deciding to buy my laser and came across the site mentioned by Encap. I have safety goggles included, but I'm planning to order around 3 more just to make sure anyone else with me would have protection. Though I understand that a direct or reflected hit to the eyes, even with the goggles on, probably won't be enough to stop a 5W powerhouse. I also have a cat who's used to chasing green dots made by a regular 1mW office laser. So I'm especially cautious!

That guy who got hit with a laser 1/5th of the power of mine gave me the chills. Thanks for linking that thread here.

Cheers!

Last edited:

BobMc

Welcome and be safe and guard your wallet. Things can get a little expensive, but there oh so much fun! Looking forward to reading your thoughts/ideas. :wave:

Welcome,to the irreversible addiction of lasers. You’ll never have enough. You’ll always want more.

Plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people in here.
There’s also a wealth of info accessible via the bottom page search bar. I’m on there more than anything...

:eg: :eg: :eg: :eg: :eg: :eg: :eg: :eg:

Enjoy

SGD

Hi welcome enjoy and be safe this is a great hobby and a lot of nice folks here to.

Rich:)