Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello! ...and A Few Questions

Lolvo

Hello,

Name's Joseph and I am from Arkansas, US. I am a pilot, a student, and an avid nerd/gamer. I am a former website/forum administrator and I love anything that goes fast or that the general public doesn't have a clue about; and, of course, attaining new knowledge.

**Disclaimer: I do not know much about lasers, especially on the semantic side of things. General mathematical knowledge and common sense provide the average user just about all he needs to know. Keep this in mind.**

I will start off my questions with this: lasers. are. awesome.
Always loved them, and now it is time for me to get a real one; however, I have a few questions I am hoping can be answered to give me a better understanding of the business and industry (and perhaps ease my mind, a tad).

I am pretty decided on Lazerer's Rifle 445nm 1.2W - It seems like the most "beam for my buck" and I have been impressed with the research I have done on it and its rivals (i.e. Spyder S3, Spartan). Most likely will be sending in my order today to hopefully avoid holiday confusion and get it before Christmas (yeah right). One question specific to Lazerer: I have heard many great things about "Max" and his customer service, but lately, that his service has begun to decline. Should I take this as a large concern or have faith in his many happy customers?

Now, say I wasn't decided on the Rifle...
I am looking for a powerful laser with a few characteristics that are important to me:
  • Beam visibility - I want to be able to see the beam in daytime, something which the Rifle should do well with. I know it will not be great but it will be visible.
  • Distance - I want a visible beam for a good distance; not overly concerned with burning power.
  • Durability - I don't want to be $300 in the hole if this thing takes a kick!

So, sacrifice power for a smaller divergence and have a dimmer beam that doesn't burn?
A focusable laser would be my best option? The ability to focus for great distance AND burning power, correct?
Is there a usable/noticeable difference between a 1.2W and a 1.5W laser? I had originally chosen the Rifle 1.5, but decided a 1.2 is just as good and is a bit cheaper.

That's about all I can think of at the moment; had a lot more in mind last night, but my account was not validated by an administrator until this morning (and I've slept since then lol). Any and all helpful, intelligent replies are appreciated! Looking forward to learning more about lasers and getting to know a few of you.

Also, if this is in the wrong section, feel free to relocate it. Obviously I combined a thread for "Blue...Other Colors" forum with my welcome thread. It might get more attention or a better response in the aforementioned section. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Not to worry... this is the right Section for a Welcome...:beer:

I would suggest you contact Max before your purchase to verify
available stock and delivery times. It is the Xmas season.

You will be fine with the Laser from Max for what you need.
For long range focusing look up and search for optical beam
expanders..

That being said...

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Don't forget to put your location in your Profile if you
haven't yet done so. This way we know where you
are from.

Enjoy your stay...

BTW... Any new members that feel is a wasteful to
to search for answers to their questions that are
easily found on the Forum can contact/PM member
Eudaimonium here..

PM Eudaimonium

He has graciously offered to answer ALL questions
from ALL new members that can't find their answers
on the Forum or Google....

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

Lolvo

Not to worry... this is the right Section for a Welcome...:beer:

I would suggest you contact Max before your purchase to verify
available stock and delivery times. It is the Xmas season.

You will be fine with the Laser from Max for what you need.
For long range focusing look up and search for optical beam
expanders..

That being said...

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Don't forget to put your location in your Profile if you
haven't yet done so. This way we know where you
are from.

Enjoy your stay...

BTW... Any new members that feel is a wasteful to
to search for answers to their questions that are
easily found on the Forum can contact/PM member
Eudaimonium here..

PM Eudaimonium

He has graciously offered to answer ALL questions
from ALL new members that can't find their answers
on the Forum or Google....

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Thanks for your reply. I sent Max an email and hopefully I will hear a response from him soon.

Anyone else?

Cel

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

If I were you, I would ask a (reputable) member from LPF to build a laser. It would be cheap, top-notch and customisable.

IsaacT

Welcome to the forum!!! 445nm lasers have a very cool looking beam, but you should be prepared because down the road I can almost guarantee you will want a high powered 532nm laser. Now THAT is a bright beam!

Lolvo

Welcome to the forum!!! 445nm lasers have a very cool looking beam, but you should be prepared because down the road I can almost guarantee you will want a high powered 532nm laser. Now THAT is a bright beam!

532's are brighter, but less powerful (in terms of mW), correct?

IsaacT

It really depends...you can get a 532nm laser that is quite powerful, but in regards to handheld lasers, the 445nm lasers typically have more power.