Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello All

HI, to start my name is Garrett, I am new to the world of lasers and am wanting to get educated on them and this seemed like the place to start. I have been looking through this forum for a few days now but m having troubles understanding or knowing everything I read and am not sure how to go about understanding, so I am making this post...

To start off I am not new to the world of hobby electronics and online forums, I have been in the DIY lightsaber hobby for a few years now, but I am now looking to make some new cool gadgets and props.
I know how to solder and have a basic understanding of electronics, plus I seem to have the basic tools to make a laser, just not all the knowledge...and that's you all you fine folks come in ;)

To start, I am wanting to make a laser that can burn things, eventually something really strong, but for now balloon popping and burning through thin plastic will be a good starting point.
I need help starting right from the top, meaning what color laser and frequency range is best suited to what focusing lens and diode to go along with it. again I have no problem doing research as time allows, but I need a helping start(not looking to be handed all the answers, but I wont turn them down either ;) )
My only real ground here I know for sure on this project at this time is I would like to use two 18650 Li-ion batteries in series(7.2v) and I can go as far as running an additional set in parallel if need be to extend run time.
Also I would like to mount it to my wrist or forearm, so space isnt quite so much an issue.
The other thought is stuffing all this into a toy "laser gun" :lasergun: as a first build.

I appreciate any thoughts and comments here, and thank you for your time, look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Last edited:

The first thing that you will need to do is some research
and reading on the Forum.
There are a few Threads that would be down your alley..

That being said...

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Don't forget to put your location in your Profile if you
haven't yet done so. This way we know where you
are from.

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

tonyt

Welcome!

And as Jerry said use the search bar at the top as there have been many builds exactly like what you are describing.. If you can't find anything(i highly doubt you won't find anything) then post some questions in the builds/help thread.. Also, read all the stickies in each topic.. They have an absolute wealth of knowledge..

Again welcome!! And i hope you enjoy the forum!

Dr Tony.

Also I would like to mount it to my wrist or forearm, so space isnt quite so much an issue.
The other thought is stuffing all this into a toy "laser gun" :lasergun: as a first build.

.[/QUOTE]

405nm violet is the best long range burner and 445nm is the most powerful the stickies will explain why, and "mount it on your arm," you trying to get a Boba fett look for your burning laser ?

Lol Fire laser, yes something like a boba fett or iron man inspired mount style.
Also thank you for the info on the 405 & 445nm ranges. This is exactly what I needed, a place to start my search.

Welcome to the forum, Garrett. Learn a lot, be safe, and have fun. Cheers!

-c

Last edited:

tonyt

If you use the search bar at the top of the page you will find out everything you need to know.
OR just look in the Tutorials, help and repairs threads.. As i said, there is a wealth of information in there.

"Homemade Lightsaber" Part 2! More Super Powered 3W Laser Destruction!!! - YouTube 445nm blue is generally the color that can go that strong, if you look in the video description you can see info on this laser build, it was actually built by someone here i think it uses 9mm diode

with you mentioning lasers with the massive 1000 mw + range you NEED this Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Slip Over Laser Safety Goggles

that laser is very strong, for your pop balloons and burn thin plastic even 500mw is more than enough, 3 W will cause stuff to actually ignite and you should have some good experience with lasers to use it

but search and you will find

Last edited:
Can I buy this and swap out the diode to gain higher Mw? I tried searching for an answer but came up empty...

20mW 405nm Violet Blue Laser Diode Module | eBay

Also would this qualify as pot modding?

EDIT:
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered this diode when it arrives do I just measure the outer di to find out what size housing I need, or is there a predefined size for it?
Any thoughts on this diode as well?

Last edited: