Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello all! New here, Just got around to an intro..

mdbourg98

I'm new but have been hanging around for a few weeks so far.
I'm not comfortable giving my name, so for now its just MD. I live in eastern VA, US.
Just getting back into lasers after buying a few cheap ones years ago, now that I can afford better stuffs.
Sorry if I ask to many questions, id rather be annoying than blind.
Also have, sometimes severe, ADHD, so if I disappear for a while, I found another hobby to tack to the list, I will probably return though.
I'm also new to forums in general. I know as much about formatting and Etiquette as someone born after the MySpace era normally does.
Happy to be here, Hope to learn and share a lot, Maybe add to my very shallow pool of friends.
Ask me anything you want to know about me, Just not my name.

Also have, sometimes severe, ADHD, so if I disappear for a while, I found another hobby to tack to the list, I will probably return though.

Haha. The hobby-jumping and hyperfocus combo is real. It makes it natural to become really skilled/knowledgeable at/about a lot of things, but actual mastery is nearly unattainable. Still, most people don’t know that the expression “Jack of all trades, master of none” (which is most often conceptualized as casting those with a lack of a mastery in a negative light) is actually only a part of the original expression, which in its entirety states: “Jack of all trades, master of none, but better than a master of one.” Funny how the intended meaning of the expression is lost.

I'm new but have been hanging around for a few weeks so far.
I'm not comfortable giving my name, so for now its just MD. I live in eastern VA, US.
Just getting back into lasers after buying a few cheap ones years ago, now that I can afford better stuffs.
Sorry if I ask to many questions, id rather be annoying than blind.
I'm also new to forums in general. I know as much about formatting and Etiquette as someone born after the MySpace era normally does.
Happy to be here, Hope to learn and share a lot, Maybe add to my very shallow pool of friends.
Ask me anything you want to know about me, Just not my name.
If you are interested - check out SELEM. It usually is held near Charlotte nc but this year it is probably closer to you and you will learn and have a chance to meet with lots of laser enthusiasts.

It being held in Newark Delaware Aug 8 to Aug 13th. largest annal laser enthusiasts convention in US.
SELEM - Southeast Laser Enthusiasts Meeings

mdbourg98

If you are interested - check out SELEM. It usually is held near Charlotte nc but this year it is probably closer to you and you will learn and have a chance to meet with lots of laser enthusiasts.

It being held in Newark Delaware Aug 8 to Aug 13th. largest annal laser enthusiasts convention in US.
SELEM - Southeast Laser Enthusiasts Meeings
Ive heard about it, unfortunatly im unable to go many places because of my job schedule..

Ive heard about it, unfortunatly im unable to go many places because of my job schedule..
This is the first year in 10 that we won't make it. I currently am housebound due to medical issues.

If you can't go to SELEM, read everything you can on here and ask questions on what you don't understand. This hobby dovetails in nicely with several others as I'm sure you have seen. Maybe your interests will meet in the middle. :)

mdbourg98

This is the first year in 10 that we won't make it. I currently am housebound due to medical issues.

If you can't go to SELEM, read everything you can on here and ask questions on what you don't understand. This hobby dovetails in nicely with several others as I'm sure you have seen. Maybe your interests will meet in the middle. :)
I actualy got pretty good at electrical work a a while back, and milling even longer back. Im hoping to eventualy design and build my own to be almost perfect to just "Drop in" other diodes and such.

Welcome MD
This is a great hobby, just remember safety 1st and enjoy. :)

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Then this hobby might not be for you

Commander J. Bloodmaker

um, with this hobby, safety is first, then fun. just saying, being blind is no joke. in less than a second a laser can destroy an eye. always wear ya goggles. ALWAYS. then there is esd, you can choose that one, your money, your diodes. When you destroy an eye, that sh!* hurts everyone who loves lasers. just saying, don't be a dummy, wear your P.P.E.

Nice to meet ya, If you like power ( you can do all kinds of cool things from hold a piece of dust in the air, to pop a ballon at 3 foot ball fields. ) Get a few lab grade power supplies, a bunch of boards off somewhere, a bunch of heat sinks and diodes and start playing. Start with cheap diodes first, then move on up. It's kind of crappy to lose a diode, but thats why the cheapos teach ya how to do it.

Hope ya have fun here, and out there with lasers, but please think of them like a firearm. while they might not kill outright, they can blind in less than a second and you need to be aware of where the beam is going. Accidently blind a pilot and it's prison time for you and new laws for all of us.

mdbourg98

um, with this hobby, safety is first, then fun. just saying, being blind is no joke. in less than a second a laser can destroy an eye. always wear ya goggles. ALWAYS. then there is esd, you can choose that one, your money, your diodes. When you destroy an eye, that sh!* hurts everyone who loves lasers. just saying, don't be a dummy, wear your P.P.E.

Nice to meet ya, If you like power ( you can do all kinds of cool things from hold a piece of dust in the air, to pop a ballon at 3 foot ball fields. ) Get a few lab grade power supplies, a bunch of boards off somewhere, a bunch of heat sinks and diodes and start playing. Start with cheap diodes first, then move on up. It's kind of crappy to lose a diode, but thats why the cheapos teach ya how to do it.

Hope ya have fun here, and out there with lasers, but please think of them like a firearm. while they might not kill outright, they can blind in less than a second and you need to be aware of where the beam is going. Accidently blind a pilot and it's prison time for you and new laws for all of us.
I am fully aware, thank you.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I'm fully prepared to face the consequences if I screw up, and am just cautious enough that others will never get hurt.
You're fully prepared to be permanently blind? I don't know anyone who could be prepared for that. What about the others you mention? Are they prepared too? Regardless of how cautious you are you can never fully prevent accidents. It's what it means. It happens when you don't expect it.
Please state your age.

mdbourg98

You're fully prepared to be permanently blind? I don't know anyone who could be prepared for that. What about the others you mention? Are they prepared too? Regardless of how cautious you are you can never fully prevent accidents. It's what it means. It happens when you don't expect it.
Please state your age.
I am aware you cannot prevent accidents, the precaution for others it to not have others present. I am 23.