Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello 🖐 from Tennessee

TerryC

Hello everyone, im Terry C. Im 45 yrs. Old in Tennesee and im new here as you can see.

Im looking for a laser pointer thats powerful enough to use in my reef aquarium to eliminate pests such as aptasia anemones. (A real nuisance for a reef aquarium)
I was wondering if anyone might could advise me on what and where to purchase from.

P.S., I apologize in advance if this use of a laser offends or upsets anyone it is not my intention. Im a lover of animals of all types and do all i can to not have to kill anything. this is a last resort for this problem.

Thanks in advance for your help and understanding.
Terry

Last edited:

GSS

Just a heads up, there are 50-50 mixed feelings on this subject of using lasers to control reef pests.
Some do seem to have some success using lasers.

Welcome to the LPF, Terry. If I'm not mistaken people tend to use the higher powered 445nm blue diodes for this purpose. My understanding is a 3 watt minimum too. I guess it also depends on the distance through the water that the beam must travel as the highest power diodes diverge greatly and you need a tight beam to deliver the power density necessary to kill the pests.

ManCave

Welcome to the forums Terry.
Enjoy and be safe.
Cheers!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, Terry! :)

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay.

Be sure to wear the appropriate safety glasses/goggles for the wavelength of the laser you end up using.

Hi Welcome Terry to LPF thanks for the intro well done. Yes 3W's is minimum based on the handhelds I built for customers. And yes It depends on how large the tank is.
Rich:)

TerryC

Hi Welcome Terry to LPF thanks for the intro well done. Yes 3W's is minimum based on the handhelds I built for customers. And yes It depends on how large the tank is.
[/QUc
Could i possibly buy one from you or could you direct me somewhere that i can buy one. I havent really found a website that seems like there are legit.

TerryC

Just a heads up, there are 50-50 mixed feelings on this subject of using lasers to control reef pests.
Some do seem to have some success using lasers.
Yes, i understand i really tried to word it in the most unoffending way i could, as i did think about this issue when i was posting. I apologize if i have offened anyone, but this is a legitimate concern for reef aquarists. As i stated i have no intention to upset or offend anyone., and i also appreciate the warm welcome and all of everyones advice, help and time.

GSS

Yes, i understand i really tried to word it in the most unoffending way i could, as i did think about this issue when i was posting. I apologize if i have offened anyone, but this is a legitimate concern for reef aquarists. As i stated i have no intention to upset or offend anyone., and i also appreciate the warm welcome and all of everyones advice, help and time.
No Terry :)
You didn't offend anyone my friend;)
I should of worded it proper.. I meant some members believe in chemicals and pet shop remedy's while others had good success with using laser's and understand just how hard it is to get rid of reef pests..
Just use proper sense and understand fish tank glass reflections, which if you go the laser route you must get safety glasses..
Has Lifetime17 gotten back to you? Send him a PM if not because he has built a few lasers for this purpose..

Terry, since you are new you likely don't know how to quote multiple posts in just one of your posts. It is quite easy. Just click on "reply" to the first one and answer it, then click on "reply" of the next as it will still be visible above your continuing post. You can do this with many posts from others and it is unnecessary to start a new post to answer a different question or post.

ManCave

Terry, since you are new you likely don't know how to quote multiple posts in just one of your posts. It is quite easy. Just click on "reply" to the first one and answer it, then click on "reply" of the next as it will still be visible above your continuing post. You can do this with many posts from others and it is unnecessary to start a new post to answer a different question or post.
Thank you Paul.
So that’s how you do it... I was going crazy looking for the miti-quote button I am used to in other forums. 😂